Thread: Working out when you have a physical job. page

Mad_Fatter is offline Junior Member

Working out when you have a physical job.

Primal Fuel
    I'm not that up on everything fitness, but I understand the principle of: work out, but then allow your body time to regenerate.

I have a job where I'm lifting, hauling and moving stuff around all day; on my feet constantly. Far more than I'd ever imagine a paleo-man would do.

I wonder if this kind of work isn't overall worse for me than something less taxing, and if it's even advisable to work out at home considering I never really have more than a day to "take it easy"

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I guess I wouldn't really worry about structured workouts outside of your job unless you're interested in developing certain body parts. So, for instance if you're not happy with your shoulders maybe you can target those outside of work, something like that. If you're feeling pretty taxed after a work day though then I wouldn't worry about working out per-se...

I kinda wish I had a physically demanding job, this desk lifestyle is so stupid.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    That would also depend on what your goals are too. It's possible that you are building up a lot of endurance, but not actual strength if you're not going to failure at your job. There is a difference between lifting heavy for just a few reps and a lot of reps at a lighter weight (relative to your strength). So, if you want more size then you might think about some kind of strength training but be careful not to over train of course.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain. With my job I have to be careful not to overtrain (again.....) so I have three rest days factored in to my program. On those days I will take it as easy as I can at work, and after that I will do absolutely nothing even remotely strenuous. I train a lot on the other days, but I do eat a lot and get relatively good sleep.

Sleep deserves mentioning again, I know straight away if I'm not quite getting enough because my recovery nosedives dramatically.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Good question. This is something often missed by the chronic cardio crowd. If you do heavy work all day, it doesn't make sense that you have to duplicate it in the gym. Get the rest of your exercise through play - fun chasing and swimming for example.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

skeedaddy is offline Member
    I always enjoyed physically demanding jobs (at least looking back from the vantage point of retirement) but they didn't always provide the benefits of a balanced workout. Try adding the "basic 5" from Mark's Primal Blueprint e-book.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    What jobs are these then?

I'm an electrician and have days of lots of stair/ladder climbing, walking, moving. I like those days.

Kyle C. is offline Member
    I used to work at a warehouse doing tons of lifting, carrying, pulling, etc. I didn't know if it would cause me to reach a state of overtraining, but it actually didn't bother me at all. I would come home and workout for an hour 3-5 days a week, then train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at night for about 90 minutes at a time, and I made continuous strength gains.

The bottomline is how much does your job tax you? Once you get accustomed to the work, it might fall well within the range of activities your body is used to handling. If you're going through 85-100% efforts throughout the day, it may be harder. But if you can cruise at 50-75% most of the time with periods of rest, the job may not even feel like a workout to your body.

For example, you get used to lifting a 30 lb dumbbell, and at some point, it's no longer a workout. You would need to add weight. If your job is a 30 lb dumbbell you can get used to, and there's no progressive overload, you should be able to workout just fine at least 3 days per week.

Use the weekends as workout days if you need to.

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    You would think movers would be in great shape, but that's not usualy the case, probably because they get used to the work.
    Get some regimented exercise, if nothing else, it'll help you decompress.
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!