Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Substitute Suggestions For Me To Enjoy During Family "Take-Out" Night page

carres1973 is offline Senior Member

Need Substitute Suggestions For Me To Enjoy During Family "Take-Out" Night

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have had a tradition with my children for many years that Friday is "take-out" night. We get take-out on the way home and sit together as a family and watch a movie. This has been one constant, through many other changes, so I don't want the spirit of the night lost. I am more than happy to stop and get take-out for them. However, I am REALLY trying to stay away from it for myself. I am on day far of PB and, so far, am doing well. I know from past experience how one "cheat" can cascade into a weekend, month, year...of horrible eating.

Phew, with all that said, what would you suggest I get for myself from either a Chinese restaurant or McDonald's (ha-ha) that is MOSTLY PB/Paleo? I don't mind skipping the rice if I do Chinese. I can honestly not think of ONE thing at McDonald's! Even the salads with their faux-chicken is suspect to me! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As a reference/starting point, I used to get a LARGE fry and fish sandwich...and then be hungry about an hour after eating. Weird, right?!

Thanks!
    Carrie

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    How bout just changing it to "Family Cook night", get the kids in the kitchen and make one of there primal favorites.
    Or make something like takeout. Make sum burgers with no buns and sweet potato fries. Mmmm me hungry.

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    hey ya! I second that K.Rob! Grill up burgers, brats, or dogs & roll them in romaine leaves. side of sweetpotato fries with cinnamon, mmmm.
    You can even make almond meal crust mini apple pies, or coconut milk custard for dessert!
    Make a stew or soup where each family member gets to pick one or 2 ingredients...

stef is offline Member
    For Chinese, how about roast duck? For take-out, is there a Boston Mkt? Or get roast chicken from KFC. McDonalds is hopeless, don't even walk in the door.

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    Chipotle

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip City View Post
    Chipotle
    yes yes yes! If you have one nearby.

Chinese is a tough one because it is near impossible to avoid rice, sugar and msg, but maybe it's just really bad in my area. I would actually go for McDonald's before chinese. I saw a guy once (looked like he was bulking up) order 3 1/4-pounder patties. Just the patties. McDonald's will do anything you ask.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Chipotle ++ Get the chicken/beef/pork fajita bowl with no rice and extra veggies + salsa, lettuce & guac.

Alternately I find the salad bar at Whole foods to be a little spendy but excellent, and they list the ingredients on each dish for your convenience. The other night I had curried chicken over a heaping helping of roasted peppers and squash.

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yummy! Chipotle sounds great! I was trying to make cauliflower rice this evening. That is not the easiest thing to make...especially when you don't have a food processor. My daughter LOVES Chipotle so maybe we can just shift our focus.

I would eventually like to shift the focus to "family cook night" but for tomorrow Chipotle will work. I am trying to get the kids converted slowly. I am making mashed "potatoes" but am using cauliflower instead of potatoes with our dinner tonight. I am not going to tell them...we will see what happens :-)! I bought one of those broccoli/cauliflower/carrot packs for myself and mashed that up with just a tablespoon of heavy cream and butter. YUMMY!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Carrie

nunatak is offline Member
    For years I've been ordering steamed shrimp and mixed vegetables from various Chinese restaurants. Many places now even have that on the menu. If you're not sure they understand how you want it, just be sure to say sauce on the side.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Almost all drive-throughs have salads now. I have been doing this for lunch for the past several months...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast