Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluttery feeling in throat/chest since Primal page

betty74 is offline Senior Member

Fluttery feeling in throat/chest since Primal

Shop Now
    For a while I have experienced this fluttery feeling in my throat or throat and chest. It is usually at night, but sometimes like right now during the day also. Usually it is brief, but it has been going on for a good 15-20 minutes today. I just googled it and am getting lots of different responses. I do have a heart murmur and mytro valve prolapse neither of which have ever caused me any problems. I am reading that it may be anxiety/panic attacks, but I don't feel anxious. Any one ever experience any thing like this?

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betty74 View Post
    For a while I have experienced this fluttery feeling in my throat or throat and chest.
    Lots of possible causes. MVP can cause palpitations. Panic attack variant. Overactive thyroid, anemia, electrical disturbance of heart rhythm (arrhythmia), etc. Many possibilities; some more likely than others depending on your age, other problems, meds you take, etc. This should be sorted out by your family doctor. May not be serious but not to be ignored. Go see him or her.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

I am 36 with no medical issues. I take supplements, but no meds. I just took my blood pressure and it was 104/73 pulse of 57. I do need to find a good doctor and have a check up. I just hate going to doctors and never getting answers.

I should mention this has only been since trying to go Primal. Not sure if it is related.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I was getting that until I cut back on my coffee severely. I think, for me, it was a panic-type reaction. Are you a coffee drinker?

I have one maybe two cups per day and it takes me forever to drink them.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I am 36 with no medical issues. I take supplements, but no meds. I just took my blood pressure and it was 104/73 pulse of 57. I do need to find a good doctor and have a check up. I just hate going to doctors and never getting answers.

I should mention this has only been since trying to go Primal. Not sure if it is related.
    Definitely do find a good doctor!

Anyway, how long have you been trying to go Primal, and how low are your carbs? Heart palpitations can be a symptom of ketosis...
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I have one maybe two cups per day and it takes me forever to drink them.
    My husband finds that even just having one cup of coffee makes him more likely to get heart palpitations. His cardiologist confirmed that some folk are just sensitive to the caffeine. Could you try eliminating caffeine for a week or so to see if it helps?
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    This should be sorted out by your family doctor. May not be serious but not to be ignored. Go see him or her.
    This cannot be stressed strongly enough. If you don't have a doctor, find one. There is a vanishing chance that this is serious but that minuscule percentage is potentially deadly. The fact that it has continued for 20 minutes and is continuing (if I'm reading the post correctly) is troubling.

Mainiaca is offline Junior Member
    I have the same thing but has been going on for a bit longer than when I started Primal. One thing that just rang a bell for me was that I had been consuming alot more coffee- tho a lot of it was decaf (still has lots of caffeine) - the last few months. I had not had coffee this week until today and the sensation had subsided quite a bit. I'm having a half-caf coffee as we speak and will try and be aware if I get the sensation again and will post if I do.
    Thanks for this post - I was curious about it myself since I never had that feeling before either.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Ok. to reiterate a few things and ad on...
    1) Do try to cut out the caffeine. I found that on a primal diet I became more sensitive to caffein personally. I do decaf in my latte and its ok but I can still tell there is even that small amount of caffeine there. (and I used to down cups of regular without a second thought!)

2) Check your pulse. See if the fluttery feeling matches your pulse. I had some anxiety issues last year and I would FEEL as though my heart was racing but in reality it was a slow and steady 60. That is good information to have because an actual arrhythmia IS more concerning then just feeling funny.

3) Do find a good doctor, you might consider looking for a natropathic doctor as they seem to be more in tune with using diet to treat illness and such.

4) If you can't find a doctor quickly and/or you are concerned enough about what your heart is doing right now there are a couple options. Go to the ER to get checked (or an urgent care clinic), or get someone to drive you down to your local firestation (if they also run the ambulance) and ask if they would mind just taking a look. Then based on what they find (and they should be able to run an EKG too) they can recommend if they think you should go to the ER or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast