Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workout Burnout? page

momofredheads is offline Senior Member

Workout Burnout?

Primal Fuel
    When many of you started PB did you at some point just feel burnt out from working out. Did this pass and you can now workout without feeling burnt. If so, how long did it take you to get over this feeling. I am going on a month tomorrow of PB and have slowed down my workouts since starting, I was chronic cardio for sure, but now I am finding I just don't have a strong desire to workout at all. I am doing weights 2x a week and a lot of walking on the other days only 1 day of running. But I really have to muster up the desire and will to. Before PB I was working out easily and hour and 20 minutes a day, 6 days a week. Now I am down to about 40 minutes of walking 2 days a week, 2 days off, 2 days weight and one day running or sprints if I am feeling up to it.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would say that what you are experiencing is very common not just in PB but everywhere. Sometimes you just have to take a break and find new ways to get the wind back into your sails. I can get that way from time to time, but I'm generally not all that easy on myself when it does happen.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Once a month I either take a week off of working out or change up my routine somehow. But I always walk at least an hour every day. I've found that walking helps the most with weight loss. Even if you can't do an hour, try to walk at least a little every day. And I mean take a nice stroll; don't worry about heart rate or any of that.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I start to get bored in the weight room after about 3 months if I don't do anything differently. Although I did go for a about a year doing almost exactly the same thing 3x a week when I was in college. I find that just trying new exercises, changing the number of reps, sets, rest periods, etc. helps. The latest program I've been doing is Westside Barbell for skinny bastards. I think I've stuck with this longer than the couple previous plans just due to the variety (some exercises low reps, others high). The only downside I see to it is the inclsion of isolation lifts, although I have noticed increase in muscle size from doing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I would say that what you are experiencing is very common not just in PB but everywhere. Sometimes you just have to take a break and find new ways to get the wind back into your sails. I can get that way from time to time, but I'm generally not all that easy on myself when it does happen.
    Yeah I am not so nice with myself either...I have that horrible little voice that beats me up LOL, maybe I should try to take a guilt free week off!
    ~*Lori*~

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Once a month I either take a week off of working out or change up my routine somehow. But I always walk at least an hour every day. I've found that walking helps the most with weight loss. Even if you can't do an hour, try to walk at least a little every day. And I mean take a nice stroll; don't worry about heart rate or any of that.
    Yeah that is the one thing that is really bugging me when walking....stupid HRM I am constantly checking it to make sure I can get up to at least the 55%. A nice casual walk gets me somewhere in the 90's for HR but then I have this 55-75% in my head that is bugging me too. In order for me to get to the 55%-75% I have to be moving at a light jog. One day this past week I wore the heart rate monitor while lying down in bed reading a book to see how low my HR really was resting...... in the 40's. last year after foot surgery the nurse in the recovery area was taking my pulse and asked me if I was dead, because my heart rate was so low and I said it always has been.
    ~*Lori*~

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I have a RHR in the 40s as well.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm taking a week off in the name of laziness right now. The weather change (getting cold in NJ folks) is messing with my motivation to workout since I do it outside. Surely I could get on the floor and do some push ups, etc but I'm not really feeling it this week. I don't have a planned return date so for the time being I'm just making sure I'm eating properly and not over eating, which gladly isn't a problem anymore. I'm not too crazy about taking time off though because I can't just jump back into the swing of things as easily.

I still do SOME work everyday though so I guess I lied a little. I can't take a shower without doing at least a few push ups or something, just doesn't feel right. I also can't go more than two days without doing some pull-ups, and having a power tower in the backyard and not using it would just upset Baby Jesus.

nunatak is offline Member
    Been feeling the same way as you. Tomorrow is also one month doing PB. Today was the first day that I actually felt like working out. It was strange to feel so motivated again after having lost it for a month--and I used to be a chronic, chronic cardio/weights queen (currently in recovery for an ED related to this). Anyway, not sure what it was about today, but maybe I'm finally getting over the carb flu stuff that really has been with me on and off all month. It was much worse earlier on, but even at the beginning of this week I wasn't feeling quite right. I think I shocked the hell out of my body with the influx of nutrients and good foods. I love the feelings of health that come over me now. It is wonderful!

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just past my month mark and I have no desire to work out either. I walk an hour a day with a friend and having that person rely on me helps me get up. We're doing 4.5 miles a day most days. However, I really dawdle and put off the weights and the sprints even though they only take 20 minutes to do!. I took a week off when I was detoxing really bad. A lot of it is energy related. I just have no energy or motivation to do much of anything. I keep waiting for the boundless energy that every says they get but not yet. My appetite has dropped a lot and I do a lot of IF's simply because I am not hungry. I have truly lost all interest in food. Even when I am hungry, I really have no motivation to go eat because prep takes to much work for food that, though tasty, is just not that exciting to me. Perhaps, I need to put a few days into Fitday again and reassess and see if I am getting enough carbs and calories. I feel better in other areas though. The mood stabilizing factor is what keeps me going. I also think I need more sunlight. My walking is now early morning and we are back before sun rises whereas I used to be out walking with the kids and dog in the sun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast