Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Biking page

Elric is offline Junior Member

Mountain Biking

Primal Fuel
    Hi All
    I mountain bike about 4 times a week - 90 minutes on weekdays and 3 to 4 hours on weekends. The rides are pretty intense - steep uphills followed by steep downhills. My heart rate obviously goes up and down a lot. How does this fit in with the primal view on exercise? On the longer rides on some uphills my heart rate will stay elevated (80 to 90 % or even 100% at times) for 20 minutes or more at a time.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    I cut out grains 8 wks ago. I haven't really been "training", but I do ride regularly. I wasn't really planning to do any XC mtb racing this season, but I did end up doing one last week. I was STOKED that my time was even better than last year when I was training.

I think it's a lot to do w/ cutting the grains out - I feel lighter, like I have a better power to weight ration & I don't have any energy dips any more.

I don't know how mtb fits in with "primal" but I just thought I would share my mtb experience with you. (granted, in Texas, it's really "off road riding", since there are no mountains, except in the far west & Big Bend).

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    You're playing, not doing cardio just for the sake of doing cardio and the hills that you are climbing are causing you to sort of interval train. I see no problem with that at all in the context of being primal.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Who gives a #$#$%#% it's a blast!!!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

gator70 is offline Member
    Any time is a good time for Moutain Biking! I would love to do a trip out to Fruita right about now!

Hippykid is offline Junior Member
    agreed...some people sweat the "am i fitting into the primal blueprint?" too much. if it is something you enjoy and you arent injured go for it...i love mountain biking...i go every chance i can as well.

billintn is offline Junior Member
    1 hour from now I will be on top of our local mountain on my trusty Top Fuel! Life would not be as fulfilling to me if I did not mountain bike.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    How high's your local mountain?

billintn is offline Junior Member
    It averages in the 2000,s and peaks around 3000. A typical ride out there (12-20 miles) will give me around 2500-3500 feet of climbing according to my Garmin.

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    here's how i view it:

fun. check.
    connection with nature. check.
    connection with others (if you ride with buddies). check.
    adrenaline. check.
    moments of being outside your comfort zone. check.
    lots of exercise. check.
    using brain to intensely focus on something, with the penalty for failure being significant (on the downs). check.
    feeling alive. check.
    deep breathing (on the ups). check.

yep, i'd be worrying about if it fit primal too mountain biking is simply my favourite thing to do. i'm so lucky to live in vancouver and be able to do it here on the north shore, or in an hour and a bit be up at whistler for thousands of meters of chairlift-assisted insanity a day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast