Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to dip in my soup if not bread? page 2

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Make some coconut bread.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Use Sourdough Bread.
    The fermentation removes most of the "Bad Stuff" normally found in bread.

Mark gives his grudging approval here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/

Now you can ENJOY your soup once again !

Best to everyone
    Grizz

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Use Sourdough Bread.
    The fermentation removes most of the "Bad Stuff" normally found in bread.

Mark gives his grudging approval here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/

Now you can ENJOY your soup once again !

Best to everyone
    Grizz
    In that link, Mark explicitly states that he does not consider sourdough bread part of the PB:

I don’t advocate the consumption of bread, but if you’re going to treat yourself to any gluten grain-derived food, make real, long-fermented sourdough bread the one. The Romans managed to do okay on the stuff, but that’s only because meat was expensive and didn’t travel as well. Real sourdough is a good choice for guests who simply must have their bread, but don’t think fermentation makes it Primal approved.
    Anyway, I just make thicker soups now - more like stews. But, I admit I was never was really a "dunker" in the first place.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

lcme is offline Senior Member
    http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot....seriously.html

I made these coconut flour "cornbread" muffins for this stuffing. They are extremely hard to eat alone, much like trying to swallow a tablespoon of cinnamon (try it, I dare you). They are absolutely amazing dipped in soup though! My friend was sick and I made her a French onion style soup by giving her chicken broth with these muffins crumbled into it.

Edit: She was better the next day. . . coincidence? perhaps. . .

lizch is offline Senior Member
    It struck me early on with this PB stuff that PB food is rarely sponge-like. There's little truly primal food that soaks up sauces or soups.

So, I tip the bowl up and drink it. And I lick the plate. It's awfully fun.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    It struck me early on with this PB stuff that PB food is rarely sponge-like. There's little truly primal food that soaks up sauces or soups.

So, I tip the bowl up and drink it. And I lick the plate. It's awfully fun.
    this.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    In that link, Mark explicitly states that he does not consider sourdough bread part of the PB:
    Holla,
    You mis-read Mark. Here is exactly what he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    ... fermentation can render previously inedible or even dangerous foods edible and somewhat nutritious. The lectins, gluten, and phytates in grains, for example, can be greatly reduced by fermentation...... I if you’re going to treat yourself to any gluten grain-derived food, make real, long-fermented sourdough bread the one. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/
    This means he gives his grudging approval. Sourdough Bread is the least risky bread.

Best to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-21-2010 at 11:31 AM.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Grizz, I'm quoting his exact words, from the exact same article. It is two sentences after where you stopped quoting:

Real sourdough is a good choice for guests who simply must have their bread, but don’t think fermentation makes it Primal approved.
    (emphasis added)

While lectins, gluten, and phytates are reduced through fermentation, they are not completely eliminated. Hence, the difference between the WAPF stance (soak, sprout, or ferment grains), and the primal stance (avoid grains entirely). So, while Mark is saying that sourdough bread is safer than a non-fermented bread, he isn't recommending that we add it to our diet except as an occasional indulgence.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

proo is offline Member
    Cheese "chips" made by nuking or baking cheese mounds till flat and crisp, doesn't take long

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Grizz, I'm quoting his exact words, from the exact same article. It is two sentences after where you stopped quoting:

(emphasis added)

While lectins, gluten, and phytates are reduced through fermentation, they are not completely eliminated. Hence, the difference between the WAPF stance (soak, sprout, or ferment grains), and the primal stance (avoid grains entirely). So, while Mark is saying that sourdough bread is safer than a non-fermented bread, he isn't recommending that we add it to our diet except as an occasional indulgence.
    I prefer my interpretation of Mark's statement. I would not eat sourdough bread on a regular basis, but if I MUST have some bread once in a while, then sourdough bread is the best choice. We are planning a family get-together for Thanksgiving, and sourdough bread will be on the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    ... fermentation can render previously inedible or even dangerous foods edible and somewhat nutritious. The lectins, gluten, and phytates in grains, for example, can be greatly reduced by fermentation...... I if you’re going to treat yourself to any gluten grain-derived food, make real, long-fermented sourdough bread the one. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/
    Which is a better choice ... Ezekial bread made from sprouts, or sourdough bread. I think sourdough bread is a better choice. As mark said, it is a TREAT, and not regular food.

Best to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-21-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast