Thread: With limited mobility, where do I start? page

ScurvyDog is offline Member

With limited mobility, where do I start?

Primal Fuel
    I like to walk and did walk 10 miles a week for years, however on 8-27 I suffered a pretty serious knee injury at work. On 10-4 I had surgery but my recovery is slow and I canít walk more than Ĺ mile right now. Any suggestions of workouts that I can do with a crippled (recovering) knee?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Are you currently in physical therapy? If so, they should work with you to find exercises that will both keep you fit and help with knee recovery.

A lot of this would depend on your level of fitness before the injury. Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking that the stationary bike might be a good choice for the "move slowly" portion of your exercise, and can be used to do HIIT style sprints for sprinting. Lifting heavy things might be a bit harder (since the squat is so crucial), but you can definitely do some upper body and core work without engaging your knee: pushups, pullups, planks, etc.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

I have been doing PT...I am now able to ride a stationary bike. Looks like I can now spend some time on that. Cant do planks yet...

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Water aerobics and swimming.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    focusing on what you are eating is the most important thing. food plus supplements can really help with your recovery. i agree with training in the water for aerobic activity. the stationary bike is good too (that's what i use) but you have to make sure that it's fitted to you properly, or you might injure your knee even more.

I did a lot of surfing before my injury. I was thinking of just going out and paddling for an hour. Not enough range of motion or strength to pop-up or surf. I'm all for the tarzan workouts!

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Used to walk miles a day. Was close to three miles to pick up mail. Rode a bicycle over 50 miles a week. Then history started
    to catch up. My knees were damaged by a lot of jumps---high jumps. Actually it wasn't the jumps, but the landings that hurt my knees.

I bought a used Nordic Track cross country skier type thing and it is great for sprints and even distance without requiring too much from my bad knees. Might work for you. Also, I have a tread mill so I can stop when it hurts too much and not be too far from that zero gravity chair and a calming bit of tea. Easier to crawl through one room than it is to crawl a mile or two to get home.

A stationary bike did not allow serious exercise without significant knee discomfort for me.

For lifts that require a bit of squatting-or a lot- I stand with my heels on a two by four. My heels being almost two inches above my toes makes a big difference on the stress on my knees.

Water is very forgiving. If you can get ways to exercise in water. Even wading in water is good if that is what you can do, because the water gives a bit of buoyancy and relieves the stress on knees.

I use some sort of cane--sometimes two of them if the almost good knee is acting up--when I walk. I walk trails in the woods very often. I have more canes than Arnold Palmer--or Tiger Woods--has golf clubs. In a used sports gear store I bought a pair of ski poles for a song. Check garage sales and yard sales.

An added benefit of using a cane is that I am always ready to display skills with a jo. Builds confidence in these days when everyone thinks they are a gun toting, martial arts expert.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Ok what supplements would help my recovery? After a night of little sleep and rehab this morning I had to give in to the Aleve today.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    OK, ScurvyDog: I am rehabbing a freakin' broken back in five places, and I am managing to move my body! So no excuses now, ya' hear?

Big ups for any sort of water classes. I do my running-for-my-life sprints in the pool.

You can do planks and side bridges with a bum knee, so get to it. You use your knee to do pull-ups, push-ups?

You can work your back, arms, core, etc. You're not exactly in a full-body cast, so no excuses.

C'mon, man, there's even Sit and Be Fit on PBS!

(Yes, I'm pushing you here!)

Also, the longer you are Primal, the better your joints will feel as you will no longer be inflamed and stiff. Make up some bone broth from marrow bones every weekend; this will help. And take your fish oil regularly.

Find a good physical therapist, and come back better, stronger than before.

Best wishes on your recovery. I'll be checking back to see your progress. You are a survivor, not a victim.
    Ginger
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    OK, ScurvyDog: I am rehabbing a freakin' broken back in five places, and I am managing to move my body! So no excuses now, ya' hear?

Big ups for any sort of water classes. I do my running-for-my-life sprints in the pool.

You can do planks and side bridges with a bum knee, so get to it. You use your knee to do pull-ups, push-ups?

You can work your back, arms, core, etc. You're not exactly in a full-body cast, so no excuses.

C'mon, man, there's even Sit and Be Fit on PBS!

(Yes, I'm pushing you here!)

Also, the longer you are Primal, the better your joints will feel as you will no longer be inflamed and stiff. Make up some bone broth from marrow bones every weekend; this will help. And take your fish oil regularly.

Find a good physical therapist, and come back better, stronger than before.

Best wishes on your recovery. I'll be checking back to see your progress. You are a survivor, not a victim.
    Ginger
    Ditto + 1,

Here's an idea: Try walking with a cane to help take the load off your knee. If you are not strong enough to do standard push-ups, then do push-ups against a wall.

Best to you,
    Grizz