Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No butter = Less acne? page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

No butter = Less acne?

Shop Now
    So back in July, when I started PB, I bought a small jar of coconut oil which, until recently, sat in my fridge. Well, about three weeks ago I started using it for my eggs instead of butter. What i've noticed is that I haven't broken out in acne. I'm talking a big honkin' zit on or around the nose, not just a small red bump on the face.

The only thing I can think of that I've changed is not having any butter. So, does that mean that my body does not like it and that I should avoid ALL dairy at all cost? I don't feel any better from not having dairy other than having less acne, which is great. Dairy is 0% of my diet as of late and I hope that my body enjoys CHEESE, because I'd like to start incorporating that eventually.

What do you all think?

Alan M is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious to know what kind of butter were you using. Was it grass-fed like Kerrygold? If not would you consider doing an experiment once you finish your coconut oil and try some Kerrygold to see if it produces acne?

happy1 is offline Member
    It just might be the ADDITION of the coconut oil as much or more so than the REDUCTION of butter. Google "acne + coconut oil" and you'll find folks whose acne has been helped by coconut oil. And not just internally - put the stuff (as unprocessed as possible) directly on the acne. I've cleared many a spot this way

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Butter is the most benign dairy product so if there is problem with butter then the rest of it will be a problem too. Try to get grassfed butter and give that a shot. All you can hope for is to try an eliminating diet and see what triggers acne and I'm willing to bet really good quality grassfed butter doesn't cause problems.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    I was using Walmarts unsalted butter. I haven't ever seen Kettlegold.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    You'll probably get all kinds of cheese-heads telling you to keep on eating butter, but I had this experience too and it was an important reason (among several) that I decided to ditch all the dairy. And the butter was even grass fed.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i've actually started to eat butter again (kerrygold silver) and to tell u the truth, my skin is looking better. less dryness and less breakouts. we'll see how it goes. for me, eliminating other dairy products cleared my skin. butter is pure fat. fat is darn good for the skin. i'm glad i came back to it. good luck!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

NYCNoir is offline Member
    Hmm... I'm with Shannon on this. Ever since I started using butter regularly about a month ago, my face is a lot better. I don't know if it's the butter or just my body finally getting in tune with PB, but I have a gut feeling it's the former. Maybe you're just super sensitive to dairy?

Steve-O is offline Senior Member
    Hi afsjesse,

My wife is the same. I've been transitioning her off vegetable oils and onto butter/ghee (Kerrygold), and she is breaking out like crazy. She warned me butter had this effect on her. She was right. Unfortunately, she can't stand coconut oil, so we've been using more avocado oil for cooking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast