Thread: Coconut Milk that does not get chunky??!

Coconut Milk that does not get chunky??!

Shop Now
    I have been using the 365 Brand for months and all of a sudden, perhaps because the change in weather it isn't smooth when I pour it anymore. I shake it before I open it too. I used to love Native Forest until I bought a few bad cans one time so I may try that brand again. I use coconut milk in my coffee rather than heavy cream and am looking for something that NEVER gets CHUNKY.

Anyone know?
    Last edited by AnneArchy; 10-20-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Look for some coconut milk with emulsifiers and stabilizers. Pure coconut milk will separate and get chunky.

Do you live near a Trader Joe's? Their "light" coconut milk isn't solid or chunky.
    At first, I passed it up because I thought that light coconut milk sounded lame, but then I looked closer and it's "light" simply because it has more water and no thickeners (although it does have less fat, it's not low fat).

I picked up a few cans of Roland Classic Coconut Milk (in a brown can) at the dollar store and it is the consistency of dairy half & half and it stays that way even in the fridge. It does not separate like Thai Kitchen or Native Forest. The Roland Classic brand also has a lot less fat & calories I suspect because it contains more water? Anyways, I like it as a beverage or for things like coffee.

Soak the can in hot water to melt the fat before you open it.

Pandaroo doesn't get chunky. and comes in 165mL cans which is perfect for taking to work to add to coffee.

Funny, I just tried a different brand this morning and was so excited to see chucks in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    Soak the can in hot water to melt the fat before you open it.
    I did something similar. When after I open a can I pour what is left in a glass bottle that I heat up before using.

Another way to avoid chunks is to put your coffee and coconut milk in a blender and blend it. The blender will not only get rid of the chunk, it will make a nice foam on your coffe much like a cappuccino.

Question

Shop Now
    Hey Grokens,

What is your opinion on Goya Coconut Milk???