Thread: How to eat Primal at the 'State Fair' page

mikewootini is offline Senior Member

How to eat Primal at the 'State Fair'

Primal Fuel
    In my case it's NC.

When I go to the state fair, it's insane. Almost everything is fried, and some of the things that are fried are truly frightening. This year I snapped a picture of the fabled 'Krispy Kreme' Burger. One positive - it has 'bacon' on it.

Krispy Kreme Burger by Michael Wootini, on Flickr

So what is a poor grok to do?

Hunt then gather!

I located the 'best' possible food at this years NC State Fair - chicken and steak meat kabobs from a local restaurant called Neomonde. They served them with freshly made olive oil and garlic sauce. I have no idea what it is, but I want to make it! They also through in a little hummus, and while I don't normally eat this kinda stuff, I did have a bite or 2 of it.

Beef Kabob from Neomonde at NC State Fair by Michael Wootini, on Flickr

So what else can be had at the state fair that seems 'ok'?

Not much.. but we did find a few other things.

It seems that most Fairs have 'Turkey Legs' which are smoked or dry roasted. I wasn't able to identify any of them with 'sauces'. Also found a great jamaican place that had oxtail (beef with marrow) over braised vegetables (onions, yucca, and carrot). Just ask them to double that and subtract the rice.

You could also order NC BBQ at some places, but I avoided it since they aren't making it there - they are trucking it in. Regardless it would be ok since it's vinegar based.

Things that seem ok but 'aren't - roasted almonds are rolled in sugar and artificial flavors, ribs (covered in sugary sauces), and roast chicken. I thought about fried shrimp for about 10 seconds until I saw the dough - I really can't eat that stuff anymore.

Things to drink - Apple Cider! (It's 100% freshly made from apples there - no additives) and something called muscadine cider - which is basically grape juice.

Good luck at the fair, and remember that turning down that cotton candy, deep fried snickers bar or krispy kreme buger means you will feel a helluva lot better later.
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

soniayak is offline Member
    Awesome. I went to a fair last week and was REALLY eyeing the rib eyes and pork chops. But I abstained and pigged out when I got home.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    We brought our own food when we visited the state fair last week

mikewootini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by codeguy View Post
    Mike, watch out for the sodium in the turkey legs....most have enough salt to bring down an elephant!
    That's a great point! I didn't eat the whole thing - I shared. As far as 'Fair' food goes though.. it's better than most!
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hey! I was at the Fair on Monday! My Hub took a picture of the Krispy Kreme Burger..... that just looks disgusting, more so were the masses of very LARGE people willing to knock eachother over for that thing!

I did not partake in most of the food there, I did however cave in and have Ice cream and kettlecorn. Hence my 30 challenge that started YESTERDAY. lol