Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no dairy? page

MonkeyGuy is offline Member

Why no dairy?

Primal Fuel
    I've cut down on my dairy intake after listening to Robb Wolf and reading PB. But I just ordered some protein powder and while I meant to get egg, I got whey instead. Since I've never had any problems with dairy in terms of obvious stuff, can anyone tell me why I should avoid it altogether?
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    There is no reason to avoid it unless you cannot tolerate it. If it does not make you gassy,full of mucus, upset your stomach, or make you feel bad then there is no need to avoid it.

There are better dairy choices than others. I put milk on the VERY bottom (I avoid this completely) but put a good aged cheese very high on the list.

Fermented dairy such as greek yogurt and kefir can be very nutritious.

Enjoy dairy if it works for you.

Oh yeah, I also listen to and read everything Robb Wolf puts out and while he personally doesn't do dairy he has no problem recommending it to people who can tolerate it. He puts it first on the things to eliminate when attempting to determine sensitivities but has no problem with adding it back to diet once its determined to be tolerated well by the body.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    The main reason that I see is that dairy is calorie dense and can be avoided. I personally like cheese and find that cottage cheese especially is a great source of protein.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I do not, however, drink milk on a regular basis. Although it was before I went primal the dairy industry was forced to lay off a cow (Bossy and they called it putting her out to pasture) when I did quit drinking it. I am a recovered milk fiend.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGuy View Post
    ... can anyone tell me why I should avoid it altogether?
    Because Cordain says so? To be really frank that seems to be what it boils down to.

Have a look at this piece by Dr. Kurt Harris at the PaNu blog:

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...-of-dairy.html

Dr. Harris says, and I see exactly what he means

If I have a problem with Cordain's methodology, it's that he seems to decide that something should be bad, then marshalls everything he can find to prove it so.
    You can find problems with dairy, or at least some forms of it for at least some people. But you can probably find something wrong with most foodstuffs - which doesn't mean they're bad in practice.

As Chris Masterjohn commented on his blog recently, when talking about some of the stuff Campbell's pulled with animal protein and rats:

I suggest we call this type of logic "Pulling a Campbell." We perform a reductionist study and form a "holistic" conclusion. God forbid we insist on performing a holistic study in order to form a holistic conclusion -- that would be far too "reductionist."
    http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.c...-is-sweet.html

Is all animal protein bad (even in moderate quantities in the form in which you get it in real foods)? No.

So, yeah, there are problems ... but it helps if you've decided in advance that a food is "out".

If you find dairy foods problematic don't use them at all. However, for many people they seem to be fine - and a good source of many important nutrients. To cut a long story short - unhomogenized, raw (unpasteurized) milk from cows that are grass-fed is better than what's in the supermarkets these days. Even better than that is milk from real old-fashioned dairy breeds, like Jerseys, or from goats or ewes. (It's a long story - it seems there can be problems with the proteins in milk from cows like Holsteins.) Fermented dairy products, like cheese and yoghurt, may be more digestible. Butter is a very good resource - if from cows that've been on good grass it'll be high in vitamin K and all that.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I made a thing!

(BAD)<Skim milk----------whole milk----------full-fat yogurt----------heavy cream----------cheese----------butter>(GOOD)

MonkeyGuy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Because Cordain says so? To be really frank that seems to be what it boils down to.

Have a look at this piece by Dr. Kurt Harris at the PaNu blog:

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...-of-dairy.html

Dr. Harris says, and I see exactly what he means

You can find problems with dairy, or at least some forms of it for at least some people. But you can probably find something wrong with most foodstuffs - which doesn't mean they're bad in practice.

As Chris Masterjohn commented on his blog recently, when talking about some of the stuff Campbell's pulled with animal protein and rats:

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.c...-is-sweet.html

Is all animal protein bad (even in moderate quantities in the form in which you get it in real foods)? No.

So, yeah, there are problems ... but it helps if you've decided in advance that a food is "out".

If you find dairy foods problematic don't use them at all. However, for many people they seem to be fine - and a good source of many important nutrients. To cut a long story short - unhomogenized, raw (unpasteurized) milk from cows that are grass-fed is better than what's in the supermarkets these days. Even better than that is milk from real old-fashioned dairy breeds, like Jerseys, or from goats or ewes. (It's a long story - it seems there can be problems with the proteins in milk from cows like Holsteins.) Fermented dairy products, like cheese and yoghurt, may be more digestible. Butter is a very good resource - if from cows that've been on good grass it'll be high in vitamin K and all that.
    Very good, comprehensive post, thank you!
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I made a thing!

(BAD)<Skim milk----------whole milk----------full-fat yogurt----------heavy cream----------cheese----------butter>(GOOD)
    hahahaha money...... i love dairy. the only thing i find my body finds sucky about it is the massive salt load. i get thirsty, real thirsty after i eat a lot of dairy(usually around 500 cals in a sittin- dont hate lol)

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Because you might get acne, have digestion issues (gas), more body odor, congestion and energetically feel like you are looking around for mommy.

ps - even butter.
    Last edited by TigerJ; 10-20-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I made a thing!

NICE thing!
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast