Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis - answer the FAQs please page

Peggy is offline Senior Member

Ketosis - answer the FAQs please

Shop Now
    I am very intrigued by ketosis.
    I don't know if I have ever reached this state. Therefore, I would love all of you who have experience in this to chime in, please!
    How long does it take to get there? I'm sure one has to VLC it to get there...
    Once you get there, how long do you stay?
    Do you revisit periodically? for how long? How often?
    How do you know you've arrived? (I've seen k-sticks mentioned here, are those available OTC?) ie: any symptoms?
    When it's time to leave, is it gradual or sudden? (do you have a choice?)
    Thank you in advance for your time & input.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I had a nerdy thought this morning too... about ketosis and IFing.

When I fast for say... 24 hours... I wonder how much fat is lost.

I'm not a ton of help with your questions. Not sure how long it took me to get into ketosis the first time through. It was too long ago to remember. Ketosis happens on and off, though I'm USUALLY "on." My carbs are generally under 50g, though lately they've been higher with all the winter squash and root veggies.

Yes, Keto-stix are available OTC. You can pick them up in the diabetic supplies, or ask the pharmacist where to get them. I keep a jar in the medicine cabinet.

Grizz is offline Banned

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Hi Peggy,

I've been in ketosis once before on Atkins and one of the key signs for me was a very strong smell of acetone in my pee. Ketostix can be unreliable, I've found.

Other signs are pretty similar to those for diabetes (unsurprisingly)

Excessive thirst (you produce more urine to flush the ketones out of your system so you drink more).
    Bad breath (and I MEAN BAD!! Got a dog? His breath will be like a breath of fresh air)
    General aches and pains
    Fatigue
    Feeling generally 'off colour'

Ketostix can be bought online (usually about $10 for 50). Yes, VLC is the key (Atkins recommends below 20g, but I found I could do it quite easily between 20 and 50) because you need to eliminate carbs from your system in order to have your body switch to burning fat. This process occurs in the liver and is known as gluconeogenesis (literally 'generating new sugar').

As for coming out of ketosis, you have a choice and the way to do it is to gradually increase your carb intake. The problem is that some who still follow CW will go back to their old CW habits immediately and then will regain everything they've lost (and then some!) hence all these CW dieting blogs insisting that VLCDs don't work, or a merely a fad.

Think that's the most I can offer you. I'm sure there are some very good blogs with more info (you can start by reading Mark's blog entry here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-ketosis/)

I'm sure I saw an excellent blog post on Michael Eades's Protein Power site, but I'm damned if I can locate it now I want it again! Should have bookmarked it!

Does that help you a little...?
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I know that I get into ketosis at least some of the time because I'm fairly low carb (with refeeds of course) most of the time and I IF at least leangains style all the time with some 24 and 48 hour fast thrown in. I never worry about when I'm in ketosis though. I know that I'm keto adapted and I really don't notice the transitions or bother with keto sticks.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I'm a keto-newbie, but it seems like 2-3 days of staying between 30-40g carbs will put me into ketosis. I always notice the bad breath, but other symptoms are hit-or-miss, like thirst, urine odor, fatigue, and headaches. I've never stayed in long enough to see how long it takes for these symptoms to go away. =/ I also tend to get a burst of energy in the afternoon that I don't get otherwise, and I have a drastic increase in sex drive, although I've heard that's not really common.

At some stores, I've seen Ketostix testing strips out in the open... others they're behind the pharmacy counter (like real sudafed and plan B - you don't need a prescription but you have to ask for them) or in a locked case. If you decide to buy them, cut them in half the long way, then you'll have twice as many for the same price. =] I can't seem to get above a light pink ("trace") reading on ketostix, but then I've never really gone below 30g carbs for more than one day at a time, maybe that would do it.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    hmmm well now i have a question.

is there a difference between high fat low carb induced ketosis and say starvation induced ketosis. id venture a guess when i was suffering anorexia relapse the begining this year i was in ketosis via starvation, which prolly has some really REALLY unhealthy side effects and distinguishments between the dieters keto and the starvers keto...

i dunno as i make sure i dont get in keto now as it is simply to much of a gamble for me mentally. i do keep a really high fat diet though

perfect guys! Exactly what I was looking for!
    I had already gone to the very back of this section of the forum, paging fwd & wasn't finding anything...
    Thanks for all the links Grizz!
    @mayness: I was thinking that range you cited was probably where I needed to go.
    I don't need to drop a ton of weight or anything, I guess it's more of a "vision quest" kind of thing. I feel an urge to get there & experience it. Plus I've heard that there are some benefits...

MalPaz: sorry to hear of the relapse Glad you're back on the mend, however! Yes, I agree, that is probably not a path you want to head down. I love the fat, but think I'm not eating enough of it so I'm tweeking things a bit...

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    hmmm well now i have a question.

is there a difference between high fat low carb induced ketosis and say starvation induced ketosis. id venture a guess when i was suffering anorexia relapse the begining this year i was in ketosis via starvation, which prolly has some really REALLY unhealthy side effects and distinguishments between the dieters keto and the starvers keto...
    Interesting question and I'm not exactly sure of the answer. All I have to contribute is that in The Paleo Solution Robb Wolf indicates that ketosis is beneficial because it shuts down gluconeogenesis from amino acids which would be muscle sparing in cases of long term starvation. Obviously, though, there are limits to everything...the body will have to use what it has to in order to survive.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast