Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Clean and Press page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up The Clean and Press

Primal Fuel
    I've been meaning to blog about this exercise for a while and I finally now got around to it.

Do you ever do the Clean and Press in your workouts?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    with kettlebells

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Great movement. C & P and the deadlift are strength test lifts that I do on my once every 2-3 mos trips to the gym. C & P my bodyweight and deadlift 2x is my standard. Been performing C & Ps with kettlebells for years. Just recently added doubles work into my rotation. One of my variations with the barbell is to front squat after the clean, stand, and press.
    Last edited by primalclubber; 10-20-2010 at 11:37 AM.

aussieluke is offline Member
    The clean and press is an outstanding lift.

In the words of Dan John, "If all you did was clean and press, you could be awesome."

That said, what you are demonstrating with both the barbell and kettlebells is the clean and push press, in fact, you are demonstrating a power clean/push press hybrid where the two lifts flow into each other.

The clean and press is a clean or power clean which finishes with you standing upright followed by a strict press. (ie no hip or knee movement at all in the press)

Both are fantastic lifts, but they are not the same thing.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    with kettlebells
    word.

Quote Originally Posted by primalclubber View Post
    Great movement. C & P and the deadlift are strength test lifts that I do on my once every 2-3 mos trips to the gym. C & P my bodyweight and deadlift 2x is my standard. Been performing C & Ps with kettlebells for years. Just recently added doubles work into my rotation. One of my variations with the barbell is to front squat after the clean, stand, and press.
    It's a great lift to throw in now and again just to make sure you still got it. I like the clean/front squat combo too.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieluke View Post
    The clean and press is an outstanding lift.

In the words of Dan John, "If all you did was clean and press, you could be awesome."

That said, what you are demonstrating with both the barbell and kettlebells is the clean and push press, in fact, you are demonstrating a power clean/push press hybrid where the two lifts flow into each other.

The clean and press is a clean or power clean which finishes with you standing upright followed by a strict press. (ie no hip or knee movement at all in the press)

Both are fantastic lifts, but they are not the same thing.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm not always so good with all the exact names of the different variations. I tend to put them all under the general umbrella of clean and press. It's like how I sometimes call a chin-up a pull-up.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    I do them with both kettlebells and barbells. I do different styles as well with a barbell - more Olympic style lifting. There is no better total body move. I love them.

goneprimal is offline Member
    10 reps can REALLY get your blood going! Great way to wake up!
    I do these at home, and have witnessed significant strength gains. You can certainly use the clean and press for a "sprint eqivalent" - ie tabata style.

For functional strength and power, I consider this the most effective exercise. I do 3 sets of 10 reps with about 2/3 my bodyweight. That alone is a decent workout, in my opinion, especially if you're low on time...

Great content as always Al!

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    Clean and push press was the fourth lift I learned, right after the deadlift, high pull, and clean. (yup, I was learning Oly, and yes, the program was much like the 'rapid assent' program outlined in Dan John's exelent book, From the ground up.)
    A wonderfull lift with Barbells, Dumbells, (missed that variation in the vid, Al) Kettlebells, or even sandbags or random heavy objects.
    Well done!
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    I use Med Balls, Dumbbells, Kettlebells, plates, rocks, bars and anything I can think of to do the lift. I love O-lifting and generally do the lift for warm-ups with light weight, or break down the movement into dl, shrug, high pull, power clean, hang clean, high hang clean and front squat. Then I do push press, push jerk and behind the back jerks along with split jerks. Lots of technique and fantastic for short high intensity workouts!

claude512 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do Clean + squat + press with heavy sandbags as a regular part of my workout (clean the bag, squat, then a strict press)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast