Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I go to my Doctor? page

savage_dieter is offline Junior Member

Should I go to my Doctor?

Shop Now
    I posted a reply to a post about fasting glucose levels, but wanted everyone's opinion before I go to my doctor. I started back eating primal last week and have lost 7lbs in 5 days. After I started I bought a blood glucose meter to check my blood sugar after eating to find what foods would send my level above 100 and try to elimate them. However, I took a fasting level and it's been very high in the mornings. The highest was yesterday at 184, but has been averaging in the 130's. Now, later in the day after eating it has been in the upper 80's to low 90's. Should I go to my doctor with the results? Even if I am diagnosed with diabetes isn't it likely that after loosing a lot of fat I wont be anymore? Is it worth it?

I am going for blood test tomorrow for a lipid panel. Maybe I'll wait until the results are in from the lab and talk to my PCM then?

Oh, nothing to do with this, but when I first went primal I got a severe headache a day after. I took this as normal. This last time going primal I didn't have a headache until day 5, (yesterday) and it was awful. I'm still feeling it today. Think it's a delayed headache from starting primal?

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    If you ever think you might need to see a doctor, then go see a doctor. Better safe than sorry.

It seems there's a period of adjustment for almost everyone. Mine lasted 6 weeks, but I'll never go back.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    You provide limited information but it sounds like you many be pre diabetic/metabolic syndrome. Check out this thorough video.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    At a minimum read Dr Bernsteins book before entrusting yourself to conventional medicine:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-.../dp/0316093440

I sent it to a friend in Brazil who has turned his diabtetes around dramatically when coventional diabetes treatment was destroying his health. His dovtor is thrilled.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by savage_dieter View Post
    I posted a reply to a post about fasting glucose levels, but wanted everyone's opinion before I go to my doctor. I started back eating primal last week and have lost 7lbs in 5 days. After I started I bought a blood glucose meter to check my blood sugar after eating to find what foods would send my level above 100 and try to elimate them. However, I took a fasting level and it's been very high in the mornings. The highest was yesterday at 184, but has been averaging in the 130's. Now, later in the day after eating it has been in the upper 80's to low 90's. Should I go to my doctor with the results? Even if I am diagnosed with diabetes isn't it likely that after loosing a lot of fat I wont be anymore? Is it worth it?

I am going for blood test tomorrow for a lipid panel. Maybe I'll wait until the results are in from the lab and talk to my PCM then?

Oh, nothing to do with this, but when I first went primal I got a severe headache a day after. I took this as normal. This last time going primal I didn't have a headache until day 5, (yesterday) and it was awful. I'm still feeling it today. Think it's a delayed headache from starting primal?
    1) How much do you weigh?
    2) Your age?
    3) Are you on a 100% Primal Diet?

I assume you are obese because you lost 7 lbs in just 5 days.

Your glucose meter suggests you are Pre-Diabetic, and you can fix that with diet. I suggest holding off seeing a doctor until your weight is normal. It will clear up by itself, so will your high blood pressure that follows obesity. See this link:
    http://www.mercola.com/article/diabetes/index.htm

PS) A doctor is just going to recommend expensive drugs that will make you WORSE. IMO, give your diet & exercise your best shot before going to a doctor.

Best to you,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.

savage_dieter is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    1) How much do you weigh?
    2) Your age?
    3) Are you on a 100% Primal Diet?

I assume you are obese because you lost 7 lbs in just 5 days.

Your glucose meter suggests you are Pre-Diabetic, and you can fix that with diet. I suggest holding off seeing a doctor until your weight is normal. It will clear up by itself, so will your high blood pressure that follows obesity. See this link:
    http://www.mercola.com/article/diabetes/index.htm

I am 6'3" weigh 302 as of this morning... When I first went primal I was 343 and dropped to 290. Gained about 20lbs on the move to Alaska, (fast food and soda) I'm eating pretty primal. No sugar, no wheat, but have limited dairy, i.e. cheese. I cut out Milk because I drink milk like soda.

I've had no other signs or symptoms of diabetes that I know about. I'm familiar with treating diabetics from working in EMS and the hospital as an EMT. My last A1C test was normal. I'll get my labs drawn tomorrow and will post them when I get the results, then I'll post them again in three months, because I'm sure the doc is going to want me to have them done again.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    A fasting glucose of 184 is high enough to qualify you as a diabetic - though if that was one abnormal reading and everything else was much lower, it may just have been a goofy reading. You should go to the doctor.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    You can have normal A1C testing, with your weight and extremely high fasting glucose, you most likely have constant elevated insulin levels...you are pre diabetic/metabolic syndrome...go to the link I posted above, you need to understand the process.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    It is really your choice. You know what they are going to do/say, which is start treating you for diabetes without giving diet/exercise a try. If you want to do diet/exercise, it is probably best to wait until after you try it for a while to go to the doctor.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Savage:

Alaska is a great place to be primal. Lots of exercise and recreation opportunities (OK, not a lot of sun opportunities this time of year). LOTS of great fish available, especially salmon. costco is a cost-effective source. and as you get to know the place and people, lots of opportunities for eating wild meat.

One Delta Ten Tango, over and out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast