Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm feeling down.. page

honeybee is offline Junior Member

I'm feeling down..

Shop Now
    I suppose I just need to tell someone{s} who will understand......everybody else seems to not be bothered . Since the last time I posted which was back almost 2 months ago I have gone really downhill. I am feeling quite stressed and when I don;t eat well it adds to my stress and actually makes me feel quite depressed I read this forum everyday and believe this way of eating is for me. But I can;t seem to start again. Every morning I make my good breakfast but by the end of the day I have eaten crisps,chocolate, bread,bread, bread!I have put on about about 5 kg in these 2 months and look and feel awful.I am now 66.7 kg but not sure exactly of my body fat.Why oh why can.t I just do whats good for me. I hate my bloating, tiredness, moodiness,constant eating ,no energy, fluid retention. I want to have a nice body and wear nice clothes.
    When I don't eat wheat the weight melts off so I know its a big no no. I f I know why don't I do what I am supposed to do arrgggggg....

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Gotta just shut the brain off. Shut it off.

I smoke pot, not going to try to argue for or against it, but I couldn't ever manage my hunger/munchies whilst high. Only lately have I been successful in NOT eating. It's damn tough, but I just tell myself "NO!" and continue doing whatever I'm doing (usually exercise, for some reason I just have so much energy when I'm high)

If I do give in, I keep it very strict primal, but trying to get used to just not ingesting any food when I smoke.

I'm assuming your urges are as strong as mine is when I'm not sober. Sober I have no cravings at all, despite the fact that before I started being a "strict primal stoner" I would consume crisps/garbage at night. It somehow didn't seem to affect my cravings (thankfully) but I couldn't continue being on that regret train. Eat right all the time, leave that bread shit be a tiny part of your week, maybe a once a week indulgence as it is for me when I have breakfast with my family on Sundays.

I hope I helped some.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I used to have the same problem as you do. There were several things that helped, over time - like re-reading Mark's book, and reminding myself that I didn't want to have a limb amputated when I got older... but really, the things that made the most difference have been a) making sure I'm never short of healthy primal food to eat when I'm hungry, so I'm never 'caught short' - even if I get a mad craving I'll just silence it with a few pork scratchings or whatever - and b) having Wifey Fist on board. Both made a big difference, the latter immediately, and the former has over time resulted in me forming primal eating habits instead of unhealthy ones, so now I don't feel like I'm always 'at risk' if I'm hungry and there are crappy foods around.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Also, I'm assuming you haven't primalized your home. Donate or throw away everything you know you shouldn't be eating. I'm going to assume you live with non-primals and this is why this temptation is all around you. Be STRONGER. Strong isn't cutting it.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Why not try making lots of Primal versions of your favourite snacks? You could make coconut bread or some Primal muffins and keep them in the freezer. keep some very dark chocolate around, try making some vegetable crisps (M&S sell sweet potato, parsnip and beetroot crisps). If you're really craving the bad stuff I'd recommend taking caprylic acid extract capsules (kills cravings stone dead) and some good quality, strong probiotics. Just make sure you're always well stocked up with Primal food. *hug*
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I don't mean to sound harsh - but do what I do - JUST DON'T BUY IT!! I think this is another very good argument for shopping for food online - if you can't smell that yummy fresh baked bread/cookies/cake smell, then you won't be tempted to impulse buy. Did you know that very serious research goes into food and shopping psychology - stores employ psychologists to help them maximise our spend. The smell you smell at the bakery counter may not even be real - it could just be Eau de Baguette - we buy fresh produce like that with our noses first, then our eyes and then, to tempt us even more, they have tasting tables (at least they do over here - and even more so now it's coming up to holiday season). There was a fascinating Horizon programme on this very topic last year and I was amazed at how underhand, sneaky and downright devious stores could be!

I have honestly found that my cravings dissipated completely when I started buying online and now I find that, the times I do have to go into a store in town, I can waltz straight past the bakery and deli counters ((I've even tested myself by standing right over the fresh bread and cakes in M&S - not caved in once - seems that online shopping has 'cured' me!)

Could you attempt an experiment for 1 month? Write a strict list of the Primal foods you need to buy and then order them online. Do it for a month or so and then see if you're tempted by the grocery store's bakery dept!

Of course, if you have kids, this might not be practical (but then this is a golden opportunity to teach them about healthy eating - Primal-style!)

Just a thought...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Why not try making lots of Primal versions of your favourite snacks? You could make coconut bread or some Primal muffins and keep them in the freezer. keep some very dark chocolate around, try making some vegetable crisps (M&S sell sweet potato, parsnip and beetroot crisps). If you're really craving the bad stuff I'd recommend taking caprylic acid extract capsules (kills cravings stone dead) and some good quality, strong probiotics. Just make sure you're always well stocked up with Primal food. *hug*
    +1 - she's right. Chromium's a good one too. I used to take a NOW supplement called Candida Clear (2 caps in the morning before brekkie) and the main 2 constituents were caprylic acid and chromium.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I love my primal foods and I think that makes being primal a lot more easy. My advice would be to find primal things that draw you more than bread. I left a loaf of bread in my fridge that I bought right before I went primal. It's been in there since January, but doesn't appear to be moldy or anything but I really wouldn't want it anyway. Find some primal foods that really give you something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    I used to have the same problem as you do. There were several things that helped, over time - like re-reading Mark's book, and reminding myself that I didn't want to have a limb amputated when I got older... but really, the things that made the most difference have been a) making sure I'm never short of healthy primal food to eat when I'm hungry, so I'm never 'caught short' - even if I get a mad craving I'll just silence it with a few pork scratchings or whatever - and b) having Wifey Fist on board. Both made a big difference, the latter immediately, and the former has over time resulted in me forming primal eating habits instead of unhealthy ones, so now I don't feel like I'm always 'at risk' if I'm hungry and there are crappy foods around.
    Y'know I think this is why I've become so addicted to Total - it does satisfy that need. 125g Total/5g cacao powder/0.5 teaspoon cinnamon and some flavoured liquid stevia and I'm on a high - literally!

runnerbean is offline Member
    Hi Honeybee,
    For me, getting away from the desire to EAT when I am "down" has been a huge bonus to going primal. Even better, I am much happier in general. I think that the trick was to ditch ALL of the sugar and stuff for a while. This was hellish for about 5 days. I was drooling watching my SO eat a scone or some rice pudding. One morning, though, I woke up and just didn't want that shit any more. I suspect if you can be tough with yourself for a week it will get A LOT easier after that. Write down everything you eat, try to stay away from temptation, tell everyone around you what you are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast