Thread: Comments / thoughts on my several times per week breakfast? page

schwingding is offline Member

Comments / thoughts on my several times per week breakfast?

I have come to really enjoy the following for breakfast and would appreciate some thoughts on it from a primal perspective. From MY perspective, it is delicious, easy to make, and keeps me from having any sort of hunger all the way till lunch. I think it has about zero carbs, as well. (and still amazes me that I have a full load of energy with no carbs)

1 can tuna (water or oil, depends)
    2 tablespoons or so mayo
    2 strips bacon, crumpled
    1 avocado sliced
    1 hard boiled egg sliced
    Old Bay seasoning to taste.

I REALLY enjoy this breakfast, along with a cup of home roasted coffee. I seem to be falling into a habit with it as it is easy to make and tasty as all get out. Anything wrong with it, anything I should be doing to improve? Might swap the tuna for salmon occasionally.

Thank you!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don't see anything wrong with it myself, would probably only make sure you're getting good mayo or making it yourself. It's probably very high in calories but I wouldn't really worry about that (if you are hoping for weight loss, see if *maybe* this is holding you back)

I'm stealing this recipe, by the way. It does sound far too delicious.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looks delicious!

I second iniQuity in making your own mayo. I'd also recommend getting the tuna in water as the oil used in canning is usually not a good kind. Most vegetable oils are no good (of course there are exceptions: olive, coconut, avocado). Even if it's canned in olive oil, I'd stick to the water-canned and add my own extra-virign if I wanted it.

You can make your mayo from any fat (or mixture of fats) that isn't too saturated. For example, tallow and coconut oil would not work very well, but lard/bacon grease is unsaturated enough to work (although I've noticed that it hardens somewhat in the fridge- fine if using fresh though). I've also seen avocado and macadamia nut oils recommended. I think these would work quite well as they are even less saturated than lard. You could also use olive oil (not extra virgin - it becomes bitter) although I'm still concerned about the quality of anything less than extra-virgin. Here are some links on oils:

Fat content and fatty acid composition of seed oils (note that macadamia and avocado are similar in composition to olive oil)
    Fats, Oils, Fatty Acids, Triglycerides Includes some animal and plant fats.