Thread: Do You Have Precise Information on EPA and DHA Content of Canned Sardines? page

JeffC is offline Senior Member

Do You Have Precise Information on EPA and DHA Content of Canned Sardines?

Primal Fuel
    I am just curious as I am trying to dial in my fish oil intake. Many sardines now have the overall content of omega 3s, such as "3000 mg of Omega 3s" on the packaging. Fewer brands have the actual DHA/EPA content on the packaging though. I recalled reading somewhere that a typical can of non-brisling sardines contained around 500mg of DHA and 500mg of EPA.

Wild Planet Wild Sardines (caught off the US Pacific Coast) say on the packaging that they contain 885 mg DHA and 210mg EPA.

I emailed with King Oscar about the content of the DHA/EPA of their brisling sardines since those are my favorite. They told me that a package of their brisling sardines contain a whopping 1600mg of DHA and 600mg of EPA.

If you have precise information on the DHA/EPA content of sardines, I would appreciate it if you could post it here. Thanks!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Check the nutrition details from the following link: http://www.kingoscar.com/products-by...olive-oil.html

It's not crystal clear, but it looks like the 105g tins have 1g DHA and 0.6gEPA.

The really interesting bit is the balance of DHA and EPA is much better than standard fish oil tabs. I can see no reason to take fish oil when I can get better nutrients and protein from a tin of sardines.

I have this for lunch at least three times a week, along with a salad. Other days I have tuna, which isn't as good for omega 3 but is tasty

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Check the nutrition details from the following link: http://www.kingoscar.com/products-by...olive-oil.html

It's not crystal clear, but it looks like the 105g tins have 1g DHA and 0.6gEPA.

The really interesting bit is the balance of DHA and EPA is much better than standard fish oil tabs. I can see no reason to take fish oil when I can get better nutrients and protein from a tin of sardines.

I have this for lunch at least three times a week, along with a salad. Other days I have tuna, which isn't as good for omega 3 but is tasty
    That's strange that the Australian page has DHA/EPA content but the US page does not for what is essentially the same product as far as I can tell. Lack of the info was what lead me to ask King Oscar in the first place and they were very clear about the content which I posted above. Here is the US product, basically 106grams (3.75 oz) in EVOO.

http://www.kingoscar.com/products-by...ive-oil-5.html