Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: don't want to eat a lot of fat page

gosurf is offline Junior Member

don't want to eat a lot of fat

Primal Fuel
    is there a problem if i stick to greens and lean protein and add in simply fish supplements as fat resouce? I'd rather eat more lean protein and greens than gobs of fat.
    Yes, I know fat is "okay" but I prefer not to eat as much as allowed.
    Is this a problem?

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Is it a medical reason? Does fat taste bad to you? Or is it as simple as "I don't want too because I don't want too"?

Yes, you can be healthy doing what you just said, but you are going to have hunger control issues most likely.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Heres the newbie advice thread. While you can eat that way, you most likely wouldn't stick to the blueprint because you'll always be hungry. I second Rivvin in asking you why, if only so we know which way to guide you.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    You don't need gobs of fat, but you do need enough carbs and fat to keep your body fueled. Try adding things like sweet potatoes if feel like you aren't feeling satiated and tired.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    What are you going to eat in place of the calories that fat would have provided? If it's carbs or protein (and you keep calorie total constant) chances are that you are eating too much of one or both of those, in the long run taxing the parts of your body that have to process them. If you're not going to eat anything in place of those fat calories, you'll be really, really hungry.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gosurf View Post
    is there a problem if i stick to greens and lean protein and add in simply fish supplements as fat resouce? I'd rather eat more lean protein and greens than gobs of fat.
    Yes, I know fat is "okay" but I prefer not to eat as much as allowed.
    Is this a problem?
    Eat as you wish I guess. If you don't eat enough fat you can run into problems, but there's a fair margin to play with.

It might mean the percentage of protein you're consuming is rather too great which is said to get hard to digest, which tends to deplete your vitamin A, and which can overload your kidneys. If you replace some of the fat you would have eaten with starchy vegetables, it's probably a better option.

AFAICT, the proportions of "macronutrients" eaten by known healthy populations has varied a fair bit, with something like 40% to 80% of calories coming from fat. I tend to eat nearer the top end of that range myself, like many here, but I guess no one needs to. Probably best not to dip below 40%, though, since no traditional populations eat low-fat.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Fat is absolutely necessary and it should be the backbone of your diet. 60-70% of your calories should come from fat.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    I really don't understand the not wanting to eat it, other than being stuck in the conventional wisdom mindset. I can tell you personally, as can many others, that fat does not make you fat, and in fact should be your body's primary fuel source. What's the reason again?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Fat is absolutely necessary and it should be the backbone of your diet. 60-70% of your calories should come from fat.
    For some people, definitely, especially if their goal is weight loss. On the other hand, many people seem to do better on a little less fat, especially if they are using extra carbohydrates to support a higher activity level. Anyway, there is no reason to quibble over the exact macronutrient ratio - fat is definitely king!

Basically, too many carbohydrates can chub you up, too much protein will burden your kidneys, and you have to get your calories from somewhere. That leaves fat. As an added bonus, a high-fat diet leaves you feeling satisfied with less and provides a nice slow burn of energy throughout the day.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you don't want to eat fat because you're so used to eating low-fat that you prefer the taste/texture... give it some time. Chicken thighs with skin taste better than boneless/skinless breasts. Vegetables taste better cooked in butter or duck fat than steamed without any fat at all. Bacon is a tasty addition to salads. Eggs with the yolk taste better than egg whites. You might have to just trust us on this until your taste buds get back to normal. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast