Thread: Chris Masterjohn on Honey page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Chris Masterjohn on Honey

Primal Fuel
    This is quite interesting.

It comes with the sub-heading "Against 'pulling a Campbell' " which is good for a laugh at any rate. (Also slightly unexpected since Chris seems to be a most courteous man who has cut Campbell a lot more slack than the old reprobate probably deserves.)

Anyway, turns out honey has "at least 290 different substances" in it, and honey fructose does not behave at all like HFCS:

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.c...-is-sweet.html

jarnapal is offline Member
    Manuka Honey seems to be one of the best. But any honey that is raw should be good and health promoting. AV propagates honey a lot like mixing it with raw butter. Although the amount he suggest to eat in a day is insane.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten Manuka honey - and really, I cannot pretend to enjoy it anywhere near as the honey you can get in Northumberland when the beekeepers take the hives out to the heather. Heather honey - that is one fragrant, delicious food! And on the comb - I am SURE the wax is nutritious too!

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Intriguing! I would love to have a justification for eating honey worry-free. I'm not going to start guzzling the stuff over one study, but won't necessarily stress over having a few grams every couple days as part of a diet that is overall low in fructose. It just has such an amazing richness and complexity of flavor, and a tiny amount can be an great flavor-enhancer on grilled meat, or go a long way towards making primal desserts acceptable to the non-primal palate.

I'll definitely need to try manuka honey...I'm slowly working my way through a delicious batch of mesquite honey, and will probably pick up some buckwheat honey next (it's my personal favorite, though the flavor can be overpowering if you use more than a bit).
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

greenkatie is offline Junior Member
    I've often heard that local honey is incredibly good for you as far as resistance to local pathogens and allergens. I live in an area with legendarily poor air quality (St. Louisans like to say they live in the allergy capital of the world), so we talk about these things a lot around here. My biggest struggle nowadays is finding a source for local raw honey.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Conclusion: whole foods are more than a collection of nutrients.

Fruits contain fructose, therefore they are bad. Honey contains fructose, therefore it's bad. NOT.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Unignorant is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    Conclusion: whole foods are more than a collection of nutrients.

Fruits contain fructose, therefore they are bad. Honey contains fructose, therefore it's bad. NOT.
    Indeed. On the basis of n=1, fruit seems to work wonderfully well with my metabolism, but people like Kurt Harris (whose work I greatly respect) seem to treat it as just a few steps above poison.

I'd love to see any other studies disambiguating the effects of refined fructose from corresponding amounts in whole foods. Cursory searches of pubmed don't turn up much, though.