Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG Paleolithic Man Ate Grains page

lcme is offline Senior Member

OMG Paleolithic Man Ate Grains

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    NOT!

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...93107.abstract

This is the abstract for about 5 articles that have been posted, some of which claiming that there was processing of grain-like foods. The authors state that "evidence for plant consumption is rare," and that's what they are claiming this is, evidence of plant processing and comsumption. Not grains.

Although, I would suggest that you all change your diets immediately to look more like this:
    http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsm...crfoodpyr.html
    because it is nice and balanced on it's big ol' grain-fattened ass.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    And of course, the media outlets now take that data and twist it. Yahoo is reporting that "Bread was around 30,000 years ago" then talks about a flour made from plant roots:

“Europeans ground down plant roots similar to potatoes to make flour, which was later whisked into dough.”

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101018/...nm/india522760
    Last edited by barryman9000; 10-19-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barryman9000 View Post
    And of course, the media outlets now take that data and twist it. Yahoo is reporting that "Bread was around 30,000 years ago" then talks about a flour made from root plants.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101018/...nm/india522760
    RAAAGE. haha

Oh well, more meat and anti-aging for us then.

AdrianP is offline Junior Member
    We present evidence of starch grains from various wild plants on the surfaces of grinding tools at the sites of Bilancino II (Italy), Kostenki 16–Uglyanka (Russia), and Pavlov VI (Czech Republic).
    From the first link YOU posted. How foolish do you feel now?

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianP View Post
    From the first link YOU posted. How foolish do you feel now?
    Not my link, but I don't feel foolish:

Starch Grain: "This organelle is commonly found in subterranean storage organs, such as tubers (potatoes), corms (taro & dasheen), and storage roots (sweet potatoes). ..." http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/educat.../glossary.html

I think every Anthropology book I've read since the 90's has stated that Paleo people ate roots and tubers when they could find them. Some "root" bread is very different from a diet comprised of 60% wheat, corn and soy.

The fact that we used to grind them up is pretty cool though. Not really that shocking, but interesting.
    Last edited by barryman9000; 10-19-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by adrianp View Post
    from the first link you posted. How foolish do you feel now?

as in grains of starch.

as in grain of sand

as in grain of brain cell used to figure that out

But the stones' wear patterns suggest they were used for grinding roots and grains in a manner similar to a pestle 18,000 years before that, according to Dr Anna Revedin and colleagues.
    Grain residues on the stones seem to originate from mostly cattail and fern plants which are rich in starch - a dense source of carbohydrates and energy.
    'The discovery of grain and plant residues on grinding stones at the three sites suggests plant-based food processing, and possibly flour production, was common and widespread across Europe at least 30,000 years ago.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...just-meat.html

Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    as in grain of brain cell used to figure that out
    Which you seem to be severely lacking. Brain cells are usually a requirement for reading AND comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by barryman9000 View Post
    Not my link, but I don't feel foolish:
    You should.

Nice try, but FAIL.

Okie dokie troll.

I doubt that you are of academic background from the way that you talk, but if you are able to obtain access to the paper I would read it. There is a table clearly outlining the plant species that were processed on the mortar, as well as what part of that plant was processed. The authors conclude that this is evidence of plant processing in the face of prior evidence that mainly showed animal consumption.

The grains (as in granules) obtained were mostly from cattails and ferns. The part of the plant processed was roots, rhizomes, seeds and caryopsis. Caryopsis is the equivalent of modern cereal "grains," but this was one sample and most were processed roots or rhizomes.

What you failed to grasp from my post is that mainstream media has taken the grain message and run with it. I in no way doubt that there was some processing of cereal grains in the Palaeolithic age. We didn't progress into the Neolithic age on one magical day.

I bid you adieu. Please feel free to insult me at least 3 more times. I hope that no one else will respond to you and that this thread, and the attention that you're craving can just go away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast