Thread: New Primal Guy here - Question about Primal Diet page

Mel_Corcino is offline Junior Member

New Primal Guy here - Question about Primal Diet

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Grokens,

I started about three weeks ago a primal nutrition diet. It consists on 1700 - 2100 calories in which I keep my carbs at 60-80 grams per day. Also, I'm eating 150-175 grams of protein (mainly chicken, turkey and fish) and about 100-120 grams of fat. I'm 5'11'' and my weight is 215 with (about 30% body fat).

After three weeks in the diet I still experience stomachahe just below my chest, where the first line of abs starts. I've been reading that stomachache and abdominal pain are effects of ketosis. However, I'm in a point that I'm starting to wonder if I have to take medical attention due to the fact that the abdominal pain takes a lot out of me.

I also noticed that when I include grains in the diet and my carb intake goes to 150-250 grams a day, my stomachahe and abdominal pain goes away.

Had you experienced the same?
    Is this normal?
    Should I be concern and get medical attention for this?

Any insight will be greatly appreciate it...

Thanks,
    Mel

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Mel,

From what you have described you do not appear to be in ketosis, and I would recommend picking up a pack of ketostix and testing yourself to see. It is possible you are on the cusp of it, but you definitely do not sound like you are in it.

Your abdominal pains could very well be caused from an increase of fat intake, but I can't be sure about that since all the protein you have listed is pretty lean unless you are eating the skins.

My suggestion to you is to take a digestive enzyme and focus on low fiber foods for a little while and see how you feel.

Do you want to be in ketosis? If so, I highly recommend buying ketostix and actually see yourself in ketosis via the test results.

Good luck!

Hi Rivvin,

Thanks for your response...I use olive oil with the chicken, turkey and fish to cook it. Also, I have 4 strips of bacon and two eggs everyday. Another fat that I take is coconut milk with a protein shake. Also, I have 2-3 servings of almond and/or walnuts everyday. In addition, I'm following the Primal Fitness plan. My goal is "To lose Body Fat and Build up muscle"...

I definetely would like to be in ketosis, since will help me to lose Body Fat. Right??? My question is "How Long should I be in ketosis without being on risk of getting unhealthy?" I had read that being in ketosis for "too long" is not healthy. What's the longest someone can be in ketosis. 1 - 3 months???

any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    -Mel

Ketosis can be maintained for an entire lifetime should you so choose. There is nothing inherently unhealthy about being in a state of ketosis. However, for most people once you get to your target body fat / weight there is no reason to maintain that state.

There can be some dangerous aspects such as the potential to develop high levels of uric acid in the blood, but for most people who eat healthily this is not an issue.

Buy Ketostix, keep carbs a 50g a day or less, monitor yourself and maintain ketosis until you hit your goal weight and then you can move onto a maintenance plan and keep carbs between 70 and 120.

Having said that, you also just mentioned that you want to lose fat and build muscle. Ketosis is not the greatest way to build muscle mass. If you want to cut and lose weight, ketosis is great and GO for it, but if you want to pack on muscle, regardless of what some of the low carb fanatics here might tell you, you will need some carbs. It is possible to make minimal strength gains while in ketosis with a solid lifting program like Starting Strength, but for anything more than that ketosis will not help you.

To lose body fat and build muscle at the same time I highly recommend avoiding ketosis, keeping carbs at around 70 - 100 a day and lifting 3 times a week with a heavy program such as Starting Strength. Your fat loss may not be as rapid but you will definitely have noticeable muscle gains following this program. Pick what works best for you: Ketosis and fat loss with minimal strength gains or Non-Ketogenic moderate carbs with larger strength gains and slower fat loss.

edit: To keep it simple:
    Ketosis (50g carb or less) = rapid fat loss, slower muscle and strength gains
    Non-Ketogenic moderate carb diet (70 - 100g carb) = slower fat loss, faster muscle and strength gains
    Last edited by Rivvin; 10-19-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Hi Rivvin,

Thanks for your thoughts...

I guess I will go thru the ketosis route. Once, I dropp 15% of Body Fat or so, move to non-ketogenic route to build strengh and muscle.

Wow!...That's 33 lb of fat...Hopefully, following the primal nutritional plan and the fitness plan I will be able to accomplish it..Any thoughts on how long it would take???..Probably 3-6 months, I guess...

Thanks again,
    -Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_Corcino View Post
    Hi Rivvin,

Thanks for your thoughts...

I guess I will go thru the ketosis route. Once, I dropp 15% of Body Fat or so, move to non-ketogenic route to build strengh and muscle.

Wow!...That's 33 lb of fat...Hopefully, following the primal nutritional plan and the fitness plan I will be able to accomplish it..Any thoughts on how long it would take???..Probably 3-6 months, I guess...

Thanks again,
    -Mel
    I wish I could give you a good timeline but it's very hard to give details like that. I would estimate maybe 4-6 months if you stay in dedicated ketosis and possibly shorter if you throw in some good lifting work while you are in that state. Like I said, you won't make massive gains but lifting while in ketosis WILL improve fat burning and help maintain lean muscle mass while cutting.

Here are some good resources for you look at for when you drop out of full-time ketosis:
    http://www.leangains.com/
    http://www.thinkmuscle.com/ARTICLES/...genic-diet.htm

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk can give you a stomach ache also... the digestion emzymes should help.
    I still get a ache from it if I have to much in one setting