Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick for Over A Week page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Sick for Over A Week

Primal Fuel
    I've been crossfitting for 2 1/2 to 3 years now and the longest break I've ever taken consecutively would be around 4 days.

I've had acute tonsilitis for the past week and it could be as long as another week until I'm okay enough to start hitting the WoDs again.

I feel so absolutely disgusting right now not having exerted myself in almost two weeks and I am going to go crazy if I don't get well enough to WoD soon!

Can I expect to have regressed a lot during this period? How can I most quickly bring myself back up to speed?

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear of your illness, Rivvin. I think you're first workout or two back you might feel like you've regressed a lot, but if you have years of consistency behind you, it shouldn't take long to start progressing again.

Think of it this way, if you'd been sedentary for the last several years, would you suddenly be fit after a week or two of exercise?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Sounds rough Could all that sauerkraut have irritated your throat and left it prone to infection?

A trainer friend of mine says that after a 2 week break, it takes 6 weeks to regain the same strength. Could just be CW though--never seen a study on it.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

batty is offline Senior Member
    two whole weeks? surely your muscles are mush by now.

freakin a, dude. take a break.

anecdotal evidence: i went TWO WHOLE WEEKS without lifting before. my strength actually improved when i got back on it.

recovery is important, and sometimes that's not just one or two rest days, either.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Alright Alright, I suddenly feel foolish! I guess I'm just antsy from being so sedentary, thanks for slapping some sense back into me!

gini is offline Senior Member
    What batty said.

Also, have you tried gargling with warm salt water? Always seems to do the trick for me and my tonsils.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    You're STILL sick? Crap! I was looking over your antibiotic recovery thread and wondering how you were doing. All I have for you (beyond what was said in the other thread) is sympathy. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    You're STILL sick? Crap! I was looking over your antibiotic recovery thread and wondering how you were doing. All I have for you (beyond what was said in the other thread) is sympathy. Ugh.
    Lol, yes, my tonsils are still ungodly swollen and disgusting looking. It's been over a week now and I'm just barely starting to get better. This has really been a crummy sickness, whatever it is.

Salt water has helped a little bit, though, in regards to pain.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I takes like a solid week of working out to be back to "normal".

Demond is offline Junior Member

Sorry about sickness

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, your being sick also has a lot to do with your body needing rest. I go through spurts of not sleeping for more than 3 hours for days on end. Eventually I collapse. Enjoy your time off as best as you can and you'll be back to normal in no time.

You will not turn to much in a week or two...or even a month. Relax and you'll heal faster!

Be safe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast