Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insulin page

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member

Insulin

Primal Fuel
    I am trying to understand insulin. I would like everyone to correct me as we go along.

This is the old me:

Breakfast: 20oz coffee with 5 cream 5 sugar and massive cinnamon roll with sugar dripping all over it.

Lunch: Burger with the works, large fries, large Coke and large chocolate shake with extra syrup.

Dinner: Pasta with meat sauce and garlic bread.

Snacks: during the day I would have say half a bag of cookies or at least three servings of some cake. Hershey's ultimate chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. (once I ate the whole cake over three days)

Now that surely caused my insulin to rise to the stratosphere. But I want to back off a bit and ask lets say I just had the breakfast would that alone cause my body through out the rest of the day to store all calories as fat? Lets say I had pure primal meals after that breakfast!

Thanks for the help.

Mark

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    I know this might not be exactly what you are looking for...and this article is a couple years old but personally I found it helpful to read
    http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_...e-weight-gain/

Hopefully someone with more background in nutrition and experience can answer your question more specifically, as it is a good question. I can only offer my humble opinion from reading other things here and on other websites and that is what you eat for breakfast seems to "set the tone" for how your body will react to the food you eat for the rest of the day. Or at least this has been the experience for some, and I have started to notice this to be true for myself.

Oh and I was thinking you may have already read Mark's post, but if not ... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/insulin-index/

I did find Marks article after I made the post but the second one was just as good. So I can see that a sugar filled breakfast will make it impossible for a person to even burn fat. I remember being told once and believing that we should always have carbs with every meal that with out carbs it was impossible to burn fat. That is how I lived for for the last 28 years, doing the exact opposite of what I should have been doing. Unreal... Thanks very much.

Mark

Yes that's the conclusion I've come to as well. It is unbelievable...it's kind of like re-learning everything or that's what I feel like a lot! Good luck on your primal journey!

Atlas is offline Member
    In my limited experience (I'm pretty new to PB) it has been best to start with a primal breakfast. If you feel the need to have high-sugar stuff on a given day as you are transitioning to primal, have it with lunch or dinner, rather than starting off the day with the sugar spike. So far, starting with a primal breakfast has made me crave less sweets the rest of the day.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Insulin also does not have just one function either and it's not quite as simple as that. Protein also causes insulin spikes although not quite as bad as carbs do and insulin also does things like getting protein into your muscles. Which is not to say that it won't store fat in your fat cells because when you do eat a lot of sugar it will store a lot of it in your fat cells as well.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    YES THESE articles are money... good stuff there and in the comments too

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    God love you NDF you just confused me even further. Now what the **** do I do become a scientist. Can you break this down in a way an idiot can understand it. I just got to the point of having any understanding of what to do. I guess since eating carbs is o.k. now I will have a snickers and loose weight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast