Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleolithic Diet May Have Included Grains According To New Findings page

gizzard is offline Junior Member

Paleolithic Diet May Have Included Grains According To New Findings

Primal Fuel

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    This is the fifth thread on this article.

The title of the article is misleading. They were starches, not grains.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Discovered: mortar and pestle, some grains. Therefore Paleolithic man could make pizza, and challah bread.

Discovered: wooly rhinoceros bones among artifacts in Paleolithic habitations. Therefore Primitive people kept wooly rhinoceros as pets and possibly used them to assist in hunts.

Facetious, I know, but my 'leap' is as good as their 'leap'.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure that, when times were hard and animals not easy to find, various starches would have been found , processed and eaten. It doesn't mean that they were a staple.

Nor does the fact that these findings were in parts of Europe mean that they were universally used - was Europe not in the throes of a glacial period? I understood that it was from somewhere round 44000 BC to 12000 BC, at its worst around 18000 BC. So, if they were going into a period of bad climate, animals few and ferns etc abundant - what more natural than they would eat the starches provided by plants rather than starve.

This is quite different to hypothecating a diet largely based on "grains" (they are NOT GRAINS that have been found, surely?) and consisting of arctic hare pizza, rabbit ravioli or wild pig pie.
    Last edited by breadsauce; 10-19-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    I love how people jump all over the obscure bit of evidence that man may have consumed grains in the Paleolithic......the fact is, it may have happened, we can't say for sure, what we can say for sure is that it wasn't a major dietary staple until man actively started cultivating it. Evidence has shown time and time again that pre-historic man lived off hunting and gathering, thus it would make far greater sense that in such societies meat/fat/marrow would be highly valued and sought after due to nutritional and caloric density.

Unignorant is offline Junior Member
    At best, this evidence would seem to support the idea of a wide range of macronutrient ratios being viable for human health.

Notice the grains in question have no relation to wheat. And of course, they are also quite unrefined.

Still, it is an interesting finding. I'm glad the researchers are working on things like this -- more information can only make our choices better informed.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Four posts, no commentary.

gizzard is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Four posts, no commentary.

i didn't see the need for commentary. it's pretty obvious what was being implied. i tend to agree with what everyone has said, i just wanted to see what others thought about it. i think it's important to always be looking for new information, even if it means altering your currently held beliefs and lifestyle. this obviously isn't a blow to the primal/paleo theory, but perhaps further discoveries could help shape it differently, and help advance our understanding of nutrition and genetic predispositions.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I found this same article and posted it. I don't care if they found man eating grains 100,000 years ago. That doesn't mean I will switch back to eating them. I feel better without them, and I will stay this way.

gator70 is offline Member
    I've seen this story alot over the internet, think "Big Ag" is behind this? Just a thought. I don't care for the most part, I will keep doing what I'm doing as I am far healthier for it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast