Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scary thought about fat-- please explain...! page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

Scary thought about fat-- please explain...!

Shop Now
    OK, I'm primal. I've been around here. You've probably seen me here.

But I was told something today that honestly did scare me a little bit. I was chatting with the teacher of a TABC class (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) that I had to take for my job and she was telling me about when she was donating blood or something (??? Something where they take all the blood out or something?). There was a man next to her at the blood bank and the blood wouldn't flow out of the IV... it was just slowly filling with white. The nurse explained that it was the fat in his blood and when asked, the man replied that in the last 24 hours he'd eaten a slice of apple-pie (awful enough) and a TON of ham. The nurse further explained that the blood would not flow because of the fat clogging the needle, and that after a high-fat meal fat was evident in the blood and it would take 4 days for the amount of fat to clear from his blood stream. They unhooked him from the machine because it would 'clog the line.'

Please-- explain your thoughts on this. Don't get all bent out of shape and defensive-- this is really a frightening sounding thing, and I'd like to know more about it!

Doctors? Nurses? Or anyone at all care to put in their thoughts?
    Little Saiyan

lcme is offline Senior Member
    By fat in the blood she probably means triglycerides, which is a long term problem caused in response to a high-grain and high-carbohydrate diet. Also, blood donation is often slowed if the person is dehydrated.

I think that the nurse didn't know what she was talking about. There is no way that there would be a sudden blood spike in triglycerides in response to a meal from the day before. Just standard and stupid CW. fat in diet = fat in blood = fat person is not true in any way

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    I work in a hospital and have seen many many hundreds of very very fat people. Not once have I ever heard of such a thing.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i think... and i'm pretty sure.. if someone had so much fat in their blood that it was white and clogging the needle, that it would have clogged his vessels long before then. gummed up every tiny intricate nook, cranny, vessel, everything and he'd have been dead

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies, guys-- I don't mean fat people as much as 'people who just consumed fat' slowing down the bloodflow. Why would fat come out of an IV?!
    Personally, I'm pretty unclear as to how fat does not impede bloodflow simply because it is so difficult to wash down the damn sink

Little Saiyan

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    If it was white it was pus, or they are giving improvised liposuctions.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    sounds like that person didnt know how to take blood correctly to me, or maybe she shoved her needle into some nasty pimple or cyst he had under his skin.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthspirit View Post
    sounds like that person didnt know how to take blood correctly to me, or maybe she shoved her needle into some nasty pimple or cyst he had under his skin.
    That definitely didn't happen! lol

But it does sound like the nurse has no idea what they're talking about

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Very high blood lipids does in fact make the blood look milky. This happens with people with things like cholesterol levels of 600 and triglycerides over 1000. Poor guy had bigger problems than not being able to donate.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your friend was having plateletpheresis where they take the blood out, separate out the platelets via centrifuge and put the blood back. Takes about 2 hours. You can donate somewhat more often than you can w/ whole blood and they can take out many more platelets than would come w/ the typical unit of whole blood.

It can be a very boring process for the regulars and it would seem they might have been having a bit of fun w/ your friend. She probably was seeing the end product of the separation process.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast