Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upping carbs page

Gathwh is offline Senior Member

Upping carbs

I'm upping carbs in an experiment. I've always had a lot of trouble with day 1 simplefit, and keeping myself continuously moving during it. I like to keep it pretty high intensity. To see if it makes any difference, I just ate 3 potatoes and have day 1 tomorrow. Wish me luck, will be back with results.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    ack. Why potatoes though? What about yam, sweet potato or squashes?

I love potatoes!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gathwh View Post
    I love potatoes!
    I love pecan pie but you don't see me eating tons of it because of that. I recommend dropping white potatoes for healthier carb choices like lcme gave above.

I have a huge appetite, 3 potatoes hardly put any dent in it. I also eat sweet potatoes squashes and yams but I only have access to them on occasion. A problem is that all of those options generally require copious butter to make edible, and as I understand the butter will be stored as fat if insulin is high from the food. Also all those options are low-ish in carbs, It's a lot easier to eat 3 white potatoes than 3 sweet potatoes. Now I would agree with your opinion if I needed to lose weight, but I know how to lose weight thanks to primal, now I need to learn how to gain weight.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gathwh View Post
    I have a huge appetite, 3 potatoes hardly put any dent in it. I also eat sweet potatoes squashes and yams but I only have access to them on occasion. A problem is that all of those options generally require copious butter to make edible, and as I understand the butter will be stored as fat if insulin is high from the food. Also all those options are low-ish in carbs, It's a lot easier to eat 3 white potatoes than 3 sweet potatoes. Now I would agree with your opinion if I needed to lose weight, but I know how to lose weight thanks to primal, now I need to learn how to gain weight.
    Well congrats on understanding a low-carb diet but now I recommend reading the book and learning about actual nutrition because it is clear to me you currently have not.

Here is a good starting point: Phytates, Lectins, Glycoalkaloids (google them)

edit: For the sake of not sounding like I'm just trying to be mean... I have a huge appetite as well because I am fit as hell and train extremely hard. However, I know not to eat white potatoes because they contain unhealthy nutrients. Sweet potatoes do not require copious amounts of butter if that is what you are afraid of eating. Put some cinnamon on a fully cooked sweet potato and you are good to go.

If you want to gain weight, eat a healthy mix of starchy, healthy carbs (sweet potatoes), fruits (focus on berries), and fats (coconut products or nuts).
    Last edited by Rivvin; 10-18-2010 at 07:02 PM.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    +1 to riviin's advice

I did a whole lot better today! Shows you guys. (sorry) I understand what you say, but you want perfection, I only want improvement. I don't fear eating sweet potatoes, I just want a source of pure easy starch. I eat lot of plants and animals, now including white potatoes, I don't think that the antinutrients will negatively effect me, in elimination diets I don't do any better w/o nightshades. I also have a problem that I don't eat enough, which the potatoes help with. I also find it funny that you diss potatoes and recommend nuts which, as I understand it, have the very phytates you mention as a reason I shouldn't eat potatoes. Lastly, the very exercise I'm doing today, simplefit day 1, is one that is definitely in the sugar-burning zone, which is one that is almost undeniable helped by not being on a low carb diet. Once adapted to, I've seen evidence that low carb diets do not effect strength, or low intensity endurance, but this is neither.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Glad you feel better. Ive been eating potatoes almsot daily for the last week (white and sweet) and have noticed an increase in my energy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast