Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question regarding Digestive Enzymes page

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member

A question regarding Digestive Enzymes

Shop Now
    Hello, I apologize if there is already a thread for this but I couldn't find it! I wanted to see who all here takes digestive enzymes on a regular basis. Also I am wondering what type/brand do you take, where do you purchase them from, and how have they helped? (or not helped if that case may be such) Thank you for any replies in advance!

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I just started taking Now Foods Super Enzyme. I found them at a standard health food store. This particular mix has HCl though, so you really have to take it slow so that you don't end up hurting yourself.

What are you wanting to take them for? That will help in determining what type you want to try.

Just basic help with breakdown of foods and digestion in general. I am currently taking something I bought from Amazon called Source Naturals, not for very long though, so I haven't really noticed any type of improvements personally yet. I have read lots of reviews elsewhere where it seems digestive enzymes have helped a lot of folks, but I wanted to get input from people who are specifically following primal like I am (trying to) lol

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahmasteller View Post
    Just basic help with breakdown of foods and digestion in general. I am currently taking something I bought from Amazon called Source Naturals, not for very long though, so I haven't really noticed any type of improvements personally yet. I have read lots of reviews elsewhere where it seems digestive enzymes have helped a lot of folks, but I wanted to get input from people who are specifically following primal like I am (trying to) lol
    http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP2317/
    If I've got the right one, then it looks like that one is just an enzyme mix without the HCl.

I've been taking mine for a week now and have noticed a difference in digestion. I'm probably going to finish the one bottle, then start weaning myself and see how I feel.

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1111/

These are the ones I am taking currently (those other ones may be better/more expensive type from Source Naturals) I think I've been taking them for about 1 1/2 weeks but I don't specifically notice any difference yet. I'll see how I feel after a few more weeks. So what is the deal with the HCl is that supposed to be harsh on the system or something? I haven't heard anything about that yet

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Here is the most useful MDA Forum thread on enzymes:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...p?9514-Enzymes

Hope it helps!

periquin is offline Senior Member
    HCl is a requirement of our body for proper digestion among many other things. Sometimes the body can't produce enough, often because to fungal overload due to histories of anti-biotics.

HCl is often added to digestive aids to make up for the possibility of too little natural HCl in the body. Another reason that many digestive aids have HCl is because of the action of HCl to support peristalsis. In other words, it keeps the chyme, etc. --depending on the stage of digestion-- moving.

Acute oral exposure may cause corrosion of the mucous membranes, esophagus, and stomach, with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea all reported. I don't think that will be a problem if it is taken in the form of pills or capsules.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Thank you so much for this good info!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I was taking Now Foods Superenzyme - started with three capsules (MUCH more effective than the tablets!!!!!)...Per Robb Wolf's recommendation, four is the level I felt "warmth" in my stomach. I weaned myself down to to two, then one and now I don't need them. Seems to have restore the proper chloridic levels in my gut and improved digestion.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Awesome kennelmom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast