Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly food intolerance: likely culprits? page

theholla is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Possibly food intolerance: likely culprits?

Shop Now
    Just as a heads up, this is a post about gastrointestinal issues. It might be a little gross.

Lately, I've been having a new stomach issue. It is mainly pain, cramping, bloating, and gassiness, often accompanied by fatigue and constipation. I was diagnosed with IBS in the past, though it has always manifested itself completely differently (nausea and the runs). I had a recent flareup of the IBS over the summer, which was what led me to try giving up grains in the first place.

I experienced the new issue around noon today after eating a large organic granny smith apple with almond-flax butter for breakfast. My first guess is fructose malabsorption, but have read that nuts can be problematic for some people too. I do eat cultured dairy products, but haven't had any since yesterday at 11 am or so. I also consume a tiny amount of gluten from soy sauce every few days.

So, I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you can help me answer:
    1. Does that sound like a food intolerance?
    2. If it is a food intolerance, is it more likely to be fructose, nuts, or something else entirely?
    3. Do I need to try cutting out all dairy too? I'd really rather not, since I can't really eat poultry or red meat and will be cutting out nuts.
    4. What is the best strategy for convincing a doctor to test me for fructose malabsorption?
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    have you had any kind of anxiety or stress issues? i know my ibs always flares up when im nervous or really anxious about something.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like food intolerance. What else was in your nut butter besides nuts? Check the ingredients.

Probably not stress - I haven't had any more stressed than normal lately

The nut butter contains dry-roasted almonds, golden roasted flax seeds, and sea salt. Good stuff.

I wound up eating a cup or so of kimchi last night, which helped the pain some, but I am still uncomfortably bloated and gassy. Yuck. Plus, I apparently can't get a doctor's appointment until December.
    Last edited by theholla; 10-19-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: to explain why I can't just go see a doctor :(

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    For me, apples alone, or almond butter alone would both upset my stomach. I do not do well digesting fructose or too many nuts. I am better now in that I can eat a handful of nuts no problem, but too much nut butter and I am back to feeling bloated again. Fruit wise, I can do a small amount of berries and sometimes be okay, but apples or citrus just does not settle well.

Next time you eat either one, do it 100% by itself and see what your reaction is. Only way to be sure.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    I would think that it is food allergies and low gut flora.
    You need to add pro and prebiotics to your supplements.
    You probably want to get rid of wheat completely from your diet, and try to avoid other grains as well. White Rice might be the only one you are able to handle.
    Soy is not good for you.
    Avoid insoluble fiber, it irritates the gut lining, in absence of sufficient gut bacteria.

Kefir would be good and will increase the gut bacteria, preferably kefir made from heavy cream, as you want to reduce lactose content, or just let it get very sour.
    You would want to reduce dairy and take a lactase enzyme when you do eat it. Try to avoid heavy sources of lactose, like milk and store yogurt. If you want to eat yogurt find some highly sour fermented yogurt, as they will have less lactose.
    Cheese should be OK, but remember the enzymes.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Nuts would be the most likely culprit. I would definitely replace the soy sauce with wheat free tamari.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    What *kind* of apple?

I'd suspect the nut butter first, but I find that normal supermarket (i.e. sweet) apples unsettle my stomach. Nothing major, just a minor grumble. However, the sour apples from an old tree on the farm don't cause problems - leading me to guess fructose?? Good job I like sharp tastes!!

Have you had the nuts in different contexts with / without problems? What about flax seeds? Did you eat or drink anything else unusual that day?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Nuts would be the most likely culprit. I would definitely replace the soy sauce with wheat free tamari.
    Are nuts a more common intolerance than fructose?

I'm currently using a tamari which has comparatively very little wheat, but does still contain a small amount. I haven't been able to find the wheat-free stuff locally, so I may just have to order it online once this bottle is gone...

Do y'all see the soy in traditionally fermented soy sauce as a potential problem? MDA seems to be kind of agnostic on it, recommending Bragg's liquid aminos instead, but also including light soy sauce in a wide variety of recipes.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure, both are problematic. You can easily buy Tamari online. I would definitely cut the dairy out and see if that helps also. I have food intolerances, and if I eat something I shouldn't, it sometimes takes 24 hours for me to feel the effects.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast