Thread: Problems with Whey? page

MonkeyGuy is offline Member

Problems with Whey?

Shop Now
    I listen to Robb Wolf's podcast and he's pretty anti-whey protein and anti-dairy. Does anyone here have problems with whey? I was going with egg protein powder to be more paleo, but just accidently bought 2 lbs of Jay Robb Whey protein. I've never had any problems digesting whey protein and wondering if anyone can tell me some of the dangers of taking whey over egg protein.

Cheers.
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I think Robb Wolf is more anti-liquid nutrients, not just specifically whey. As far as the dangers of taking whey over egg protein, I can't answer that.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I thought his anti-dairy stance in his book was the least convincing part of it. Others who've looked at the dairy issue (whey is dairy too) like Kurt Harris don't find much wrong with dairy. I mean, if you can't digest it, you can't digest it, fine. But if you can digest it and are not trying to lose weight, it seems pretty nutritious.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I thought his anti-dairy stance in his book was the least convincing part of it. Others who've looked at the dairy issue (whey is dairy too) like Kurt Harris don't find much wrong with dairy. I mean, if you can't digest it, you can't digest it, fine. But if you can digest it and are not trying to lose weight, it seems pretty nutritious.
    +1
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I attribute his stance on liquid recovery meals/protein is because of the insulin spike that liquid food causes.

Take a solid meal and blend it into liquid and drink it.

Eat the exact same meal but don't blend it.

The blended version will have caused a larger insulin response. It's a physics and chemistry issue and he explained it pretty well but way too complex for me to remember off the top of my head.

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    this is just one article, but a great one on glutathione and undenatured whey protein: http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/th...ger/CMASTERJO/

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I once read that the nursery rhyme---Little Miss Muffet sat on a Tuffet, eating her curds and whey.
    Along came a spider and sat down beside her,
    and scared Miss Muffet away.
    ---concerned the supposed evil of whey. Apparently it was once thought to cause youngsters to hallucinate.

Perhaps there is something to that tale. Perhaps there is something 'not so good' about whey. I can't say.

I do know that whey is a strong anti-fungal and that it is strong in beta glucans.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I have always had a hard time digesting whey protein powder, even though I'm able to eat most dairy products without a problem. To be fair, I'm not sure if it is something specific about the whey, or just consuming that much straight protein in one go without some other food as a buffer, since I've never tried any other protein powders.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any issues with digesting whey. I would rather have whey than egg protein powder just because there is more protein in it.