Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organizing our Sources to fight Conventional Wisdom page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

We have all experienced the typical first reaction people have towards Primal nutrition.

A simple search in Google Scholar or PubMed will result in thousands of articles supporting high-carb/low-fat diets, but (peer-reviewed) research papers supporting our position tend to be harder to find.

While debating can be entertaining and very stimulating, the fact that the PB is unpopular and has little followers doesn't really concern me. It's their life.

On the other hand, having an organized database of sources could help us convince rational fence-sitters we care about into taking that last step and giving the PB a try.

What do you guys think?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

jpippenger Guest

I think its a great idea. How do you propose organizing the resources?

Maybe Mark could include a section in MDA listing sources grouped by topic. The research papers would include articles for the PB and against low-fat/high-carb diets.

Maybe something like:

-Research for a high animal fat intake

-Research against consmption of grains.

etc

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Anonymous Guest

fwiw, something Brad Pilon pointed out on twitter last week was that the synopsis for the research - what's often only available on pub med - is not peer reviewed, and may or may not reflect the study itself.

Perhaps just a 'research & studies' forum? Until MDA gains a wiki, that is.

trinity4 is offline Member

My plan is to be as radiantly healthy as I can possibly be. People will ask, I will tell them what I do.

I worked as an apprentice to a homebirth midwife. Talk about people not understanding or having irrational beleif systems about a subject...just talk to a group of people about birth..they will tell you how totally unsafe it is, and thank god for the hospital because woman DIED without doctors...blahblahblah...even though this is NOT supported by evidence at all....I have seen enough that I believe that MOST babies are safer being born at home with a skilled attendant. I only say all this to point out that it is usually futile to mess with anyones cherished belief system. If people are interested, and they will be if you are achieveing your health and weight goals, then share...but other than that, I dunno. But thats just me, I've spent a lot of time bucking "conventional wisdom" (homebirth, homeschool, extended breastfeeding, etc.) and people usually won't believe me on things even when they can see the evidence before their very eyes, or if I hand them a book or research paper. Just my opinion.

But I would enjoy some sort of a database that I could refer to!!

deepthought is offline Junior Member

SS. great idea!

I was aiming for something like that in the "reading tips" thread, but the interrest seems cool.

Where do we start!!

Riceball Guest

oh....when I was first trying to convince my dad to eat low carb to lower his cholestrole I searched nothing but studies and articles doctors wrote to send him (he's a doctor and really thought I was going insane and hurting myself...so I had to convince him with solid science)

I didn't save the emails, but here are acouple I sent him recently, one of the study actually came out in this may.

it'd help so much if we could just post the link in a fixed post whenever everyone finds something...

it'd be super helpful! =)

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=2424054&blobtype=pdf

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/6/1/21

thanks riceball!

I'll get right into them

Then first link is the so called "Karlshamnsstudien" ( The Karlshamn Study, namned after the city where it took place). This is a very good study on the wheightloss effect for obese(and diabetical) persons. J V Nileson is a swedish pinoneer in the low carb battle against CW.

Recommended!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Nice papers Riceball, and I second your idea of having a section with a compilation of the peer-review research articles supporting our philosophy.

I always see comments on the forum or Mike's posts mentioning bad experiences with friends and family about embracing the PB. It would be cool to be able to direct them to a part of MDA where everything is already digested and easy for them to read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast