Thread: Rawesome foods raid on Colbert page

MarkP is offline Member

Rawesome foods raid on Colbert

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    "Pasteurization without representation." LMAO!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    All I got was

"Sorry, videos are currently not available in your country"
    La tristesse durera toujours...

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    I saw this on the box. Strangely enough we get Colbert here in Australia. My wife and I enjoy it and seriously the mind boggles with some of the stuff you people in the U.S. have to deal with..not Colbert, just the strange things he takes the piss out of.

This was just one example. Why on earth are Police doing a health inspection raid in the first place...let alone with guns drawn. I was a police officer for 21 years and if someone said a shop was illegally selling raw milk I'd show them to the door and point them in the direction of the local Health Inspector.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
    Why on earth are Police doing a health inspection raid in the first place...let alone with guns drawn.

Ahhh.. well it all makes sense now. Not!

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Thanatos - Yasas (well I figured there's got to be a bit of Greek in you with a name like that?)
    To be honest, I think that's just normal for America - don't you?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    That's just rawful.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by shadgal View Post
    Thanatos - Yasas (well I figured there's got to be a bit of Greek in you with a name like that?)
    To be honest, I think that's just normal for America - don't you?
    Well it's hard for me to say as I'm Australian. I visited the U.S. this year for three weeks and went to Seattle, Chicago, NY, Austin and San Francisco. I met lots of great people along the way who are completely 'normal' and would I suspect cringe at the Rawesome Foods clip as well. So I just don't know what is normal.

Prior to the trip I only had experience of the U.S. from what I see in the media. This makes it seem as though the US is all about the lunatic fringe being everywhere. From the people I met, it's not, the majority are really great people. However I was watching the news in the U.S. and it seemed to me that it was dominated by the lunatic fringe and their antics. So it's not just outside the U.S. it appears that way but inside too.

So what I don't understand is why the country is so full of nice people but it's the lunatic fringe that gets all the attention and media.

I have a theory though I'd like to run past...I noticed whilst I was there that people don't take the piss out of each other whereas we Australians do this all the time. It's basically mildly teasing each other about pretty much everything. As a result we tend not to take a lot of things seriously, especially personal differences of opinion. So as an Australian if you have an opinion you want taken seriously then you'd better do your research and have a well thought out argument.

I also had it explained to me that Americans are very polite and won't discuss a lot of things at all, eg politics, religion etc for fear of offending others. By contrast Australians just go ahead and offend and laugh about it.

So my theory is that the lunatic fringe, with their poorly thought out opinions, get a run in the media etc simply because people are too polite to tell them to shut up and grow a brain. Sure you have freedom of speech and they are entitled to their opinion but then you are also entitled to tell them you think they are idiots. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to happen.

Thoughts?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As an American I'd call that a good summary, Thanatos. It's a combination of some people somehow feeling obliged to take them at least a little seriously, and other people being eager to watch them be crazy people in the media -- which means ratings -- which means money. Or, watch other people bash the lunatics even though the lunatics still get their air time too. I guess non-lunatics are more boring!

And I also think America has been a LOT more polarized for the last ten years or so, maybe moreso. Ever since 9/11 and all this economic loveliness, there's been a lot of ... stridency, let's say. It's like nobody in politics or the media can be moderate or have crosscutting views anymore.

But I'm biased, I think the two-party system is really restrictive anyway. I don't see why certain economic views must also go hand-in-hand with certain religious or cultural agendas, for example.