This is how I'm roughly breaking down my calories throughout the day:

5:30am - 500

(gym)

9:00am - 250

(classes)

2:00pm- 250

5:00pm - 500

8:00pm - 250

That's 1750 altogether, but I'm bound to overeat. I'm not fat but I'm trying to lose a few more pounds in order to show my abs. Do my calories look good?

And the big question is: if I restrict carbs (-100 grams), will an excess amount of fats make me gain weight?

Thanks all.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I don&#39;t really count calories anymore. I used to be obsessive about it- measuring and weighing my food, running to burn off X number of calories, writing down all my foods.

I don&#39;t do that anymore.

Every other week I do what&#39;s called "Survival Week" where I do keep track of my carbs to keep them under 50, but with eating Primal it&#39;s fairly easy to stay below 100 without even trying.

Madame P is offline Junior Member

Personally, I would never eat 5 times a day. Frequent eating will keep your insulin levels high and will lead to more hunger.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Madame P, I find my eating routine to be the opposite of what you&#39;re saying. First of all, how can it keep my insulin levels high when I&#39;m not even eating a lot of carbs? It keeps my hunger down and gives me energy.

So, what EXACTLY makes one gain weight(or prevent weight less): excess calories (from protein and fats) or carbs?

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Oh wow there are some seriously long discussions on this already. You should definitely search through the forum to read through that, I don&#39;t think people are going to want to hash it out again!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Thanks. I should have searched before, excuse my lazy self. I found all the answers and I must say I&#39;m very pleased with them. Glad to know that cheese and nuts won&#39;t make me gain weight! (I hope...)

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Raphael, this is what I have concluded...

I wouldn&#39;t waste your time counting your calories, it&#39;s not too important with these foods if you only eat when you&#39;re hungry and don&#39;t stuff yourself silly at mealtime. Look up the myth on calories in=calories out.

The bottom line with primal eating and weight loss is that you&#39;re consuming foods that don&#39;t raise your insulin levels. Insulin essentially regulates fat storage. As insulin increases, the body uses less fat for fuel and more glucose. Insulin transports glucose to fat cells, and works to store it as fat if it isn&#39;t being burned otherwise (through physical activity.)

If your main source of carbs are vegetables and some nuts, your insulin levels will remain regulated and therefore you won&#39;t store excess fat. I believe this is why many primals take it easy with the fruit (or eliminate it altogether,) because they raise insulin levels slightly. If you do eat fruit, I&#39;ve been educated that it&#39;s best to eat with fat or protein in order to lessen the effect it has on insulin levels, and keeping yourself trim and lean.

Phew! Hope this helps.

Jess, thank you for you reply. I searched the forum and I&#39;ve learned precisely what you&#39;ve said.

Yes, I have eliminated all fruits for now (besides tomatoes). Generally vegetables won&#39;t raise insulin right? Such as onions, cabbage, spinach, mushrooms and carrots and a green salad.

Does this also mean I can have a breakfast of for example 2 eggs, 2 servings of cheese and 2 servings of sausage and some mushrooms on the side and I won&#39;t gain weight??? This is heaven lol

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Do it up man!! Enjoy your food and fuel, I bet you&#39;ll feel better eating a little more. No, I don&#39;t believe that vegetables raise insulin levels in a way that would make you store fat. Even the concept of vegetables making you fat seems quite ridiculous, doesn&#39;t it?

Yes, it does. I weighted myself today at 142 lbs, and next week on Friday I&#39;ll weight myself again. I&#39;m going to increase my calories and keep my carbs -50 grams and we&#39;ll see how that goes! If anything undesirable happens, a 24 hour IF on Sunday will put me back on track.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast