Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What does your SO think of primal? page

NZPixie is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I've seen a few posts about the conflict that going primal can have in relationships.

I was just wondering if many people have a conflict, or if their Significant Other (SO) is supportive or embracing of the lifestyle?

As a female with a male partner, he thinks it is FANTASTIC that I buy and cook bacon and eggs for breakfast and that we now have meat every night. He pretty much eats anything and while he isn't interested in 'going primal' he will eat what I buy at the supermarket. I buy him a pack of cookies and some muesli bars each week but he would probably survive without them.

So no conflict with my new eating style from his end, he is pretty happy with the outcome, although he grumops about not having bread in the house when he wants to eat something fast.

How have others found this in their relationships?

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I second the bacon and eggs My SO loves a good, traditional breakfast. He likes all the dinners I make and has really enjoyed many of the recipes on MDA (well, minus the ones containing almonds or coconut flakes). I buy bread for him but we don't keep sweets or junk around the house. Usually he has one treat per week (typically ice cream) at the Italian ice joint or Coldstone.

I don't think I can get him to switch from his usual lunchtime turkey sandwich, but he'll eat dinner leftovers whenever I pack them.

Most people around me just see me as a "low carber" and a several others in our social circle seem to be, as well, so it's not so odd.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Mine loves that I finally have meat in the fridge! He's not a big fan of vegetables, and hates salad, but has enjoyed everything I've made for him so far.

(He also loves how I look)

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Even though my sweetie constantly complains about her extra weight, I was always very careful not to preach as it's totally against my nature. When I first started lowcarbing (no grains or legumes, under 100g carb/day) it was no big deal. There was one isolated incident after I cut out all sweeteners except tiny amounts of fruit and honey -- she offered me a piece of white chocolate, then got VERY angry when I dipped it in almond butter and didn't "just eat it"...I explained I wanted additional fat and protein with it, and at this point it would probably taste too sweet to me by itself anyway.

Since then I've only gone further down the carb curve (currently at 0-5g/day), but she's only become more accepting of the whole thing. Her whole deal (as she explains it) is that as long as our roommate is bringing more crap into the house than she would buy herself (see my post "Oh the pain of it all"), she has "no willpower". But last time she came back from a family barbecue, she told me how her stepdad reminded her, "We have buns, you know" and she replied, "Yeah, I know." So even if she's not ready to make big changes, my example is definitely having a positive influence.

I still never want to preach, but I've started gently encouraging her and making more suggestions. More than her appearance, I worry about her health and happiness, and I KNOW that those would both improve immeasurably if she cut out the crap and lost the weight she wants to. Please wish us success -- luck is for rabbits

Madame P is offline Junior Member

My husband has no desire to join me, but he sees that it worked for me, so he supports me. He eats everything I cook, but with a side of bread and cheese.

Tarlach is offline Member

My wife read a lot of the same research that I did and we both changed our way of eating together.

It's nice to be in complete agreement about what to eat.

(Our two very young kids seem pretty happy with what we feed them also

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

gazb is offline Junior Member

Don't have an SO as such, but when I mention it to girls I'm seeing, they seem curious but worried. Usually something along the lines of "you're really slim already, you don't need to be dieting" comes up. They're surprised when I say things like "pasta is worse for you than fat" but tend to believe me as it's obvious that I've done my research, and respect me for trying to stay healthy.

dianea is offline Junior Member

I kept sending him links and as he read them he decided to try it.

I had been on "another low carb program" about 7 years ago and stuck with it for 3 years. When I met him, his habits crept into my lifestyle, especially the one about getting out of the office over lunch.

I found mark's site a couple weeks ago and said...hmmm, this looks familiar enough and it worked for my body before. I began tracking my eating on fitday and the pattern became obvious again. lower carbs=lower weight.

BINGO!

Now SO is doing this as well and has dropped 6 pounds his first week. We like that Mark provides scientific and nutritional backing for the articles - heck we are all smart people or we would all be searching for a magic pill instead of trying to figure out our bodies. When you can back up your choices with science, it really helps to defend your position.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

He happily eats whatever I put in front of him. I did have to put up with a couple months of sad puppy dog eyes when the bread disappeared, but now he's used to it.

Katt is offline Senior Member

Like Tarlach, my husband and I read the same information. And while he is behind this 100% and is excited about my progress, he's been less than consistent and his own weightloss and fitness seems stalled.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast