Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish oil and sleepiness! page

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member

Fish oil and sleepiness!

Has anyone noticed sleepiness when they take fish oil? I started taking Carlson's fish oil about a week ago- was following recommendations of the Robb Wolf fish oil calculator and started getting sleepy during the day (feeling kinda out of it). Nothing else in my diet/exercise has changed - I even started taking less yesterday. Today I took a 1/2 teaspoon this am and within 20 minutes started feeling sleepy.

Could it be a healing transition? I don't want to stop taking it cause I know how good it is, but if this is an adverse reaction, I will.

Any comments?

Nobody?

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Jadebb,

I haven't personally heard of sleepiness as a side-effect of fish oil supplementation... most of the time, people notice an enlivening effect.

A couple of suggestions: a) have you factored in this fat intake to your total dietary fat %? Sometimes if a meal (including fish oil & other supplements) is too large or caloric, it can result in sleepiness. b) Definitely keep taking the fish oil; if you continue to experience this effect, maybe just take it with your last meal of the day, so that you can use it a sleep-promoter rather than tolerate it as a mid-day annoyance?

HealthseekerKate:

Thank you for the good suggestions - I have been factoring it in my fat intake - I actually used one teaspoon as a salad dressing (with lemon) on one particular meal (it was quite good). The other idea, taking it before bed, is a very good suggestion. I notice that I am sleeping more deeply and dreaming unbelievably vividly!

I'm also thinking of scaling back for a little while and then trying to increase again slowly and letting my body adjust....

Just still curious if anyone else has had this side effect.....

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I've been taking 2000 mg a day for 3-4 years and haven't noticed any thing effects you describe.

Kasey is offline Member
    Yes I get sleepy after taking Carlson's fish oil too! Maybe it's just the brand? It's the only one I've ever tried. Plus I always burp up the lemony taste afterwards and I think that's a sign that I'm not really digesting it very well. Maybe Brian Peskin is on to something?

I've never noticed any benefits from taking it personally.

Kasey - I have a few other brands in capsules and they also made me sleepy. I don't burp anything with the Carlson's, but did with the capsules.

Also, I don't know who Brian Peskin is....? I'll google him.....

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I found that burping up a fishy taste usually means a capsule of rancid fish oil. I read a good bit of advice in this forum somewhere, way back, about freezing the fish oil. I keep mine in the freezer and have no more bad burps.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I notice that I am sleeping more deeply and dreaming unbelievably vividly!
    oh yeah I used to have this, especially when I was taking my fish oil before bed.

I found that burping up a fishy taste usually means a capsule of rancid fish oil. I read a good bit of advice in this forum somewhere, way back, about freezing the fish oil. I keep mine in the freezer and have no more bad burps.
    I've got some new very good quality tabs, manufacture date was August 2010 (so I doubt whether they'd be rancid) and man they have been giving me bad fish burps, tragic. I've tried keeping them in the freezer and still the same. I've also got some other tabs that I got through Iherb and they are giving me fish burps as well now.

Suse -

You say you "used to have this" ....Did your system adjust and you are no longer sleeping so deeply and dreaming so vividly? I'm curious if I'm going through an adjustment period. (thus the sleepiness, too)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast