Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, I've had an avocado! page

Velocity is offline Senior Member

Finally, I've had an avocado!

Shop Now
    For the first time in ages (read: since about mid-July)... I usually shy from the grocery avocados because the few times I'd bought them, they become overripe in a matter of 48 hours and I couldn't use any of them. But I got one of the big Florida avocados this past week at a farmer's market just established on campus (!) and split it between yesterday and today.

Delicious...

<----happy now

They also have Haas avocados (the smaller guys) on sale at Publix (for the SFL people) at 10 for $10... at least, the Publix I use.

So, yay avocados!
    Last edited by Velocity; 10-17-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    That's the main reason I hate to buy them. They're pretty expensive and taste like crap when overripe!
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    When you avocados start to get soft, pop them in the fridge, it will slow down the ripening process a bit until you are ready to eat them. When I buy them on sale at the store, I tend to grab a bunch in varying stages of ripeness so that I can eat them gradually through the week

Oh, and if you want to eat just half, keep the seed in the center of the unused half and wrap tightly in plastic wrap before putting in fridge. The second half will usually hold up for another day or so this way.

Speaking of avocados, I think I have two ripe ones on the counter now to go with my primal enchiladas I made yesterday (using egg crepes). Yum, hurry up lunchtime!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Right on, velocity! Welcome to the club.

Meadow's advice is spot-on -- everything that I was going to say, from years of trial and error.

Also, I buy mine in varying degrees of ripeness and then line 'em up on the kitchen counter accordingly. The one I am planning on eating that day yields ever so slightly to my touch, the ones for later in the week are rock hard.

There was one person here who HATED avocados. It occurred to me long after the thread was live that maybe he had only had an overripe one, which is so easy to do, and they are NASTY.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Yep Meadow has the right of it, and like TigerLily I buy avocados of varying ripeness and eat them through the week. I just had two eggs scrambled in olive oil, a touch of cheddar cheese, half an avocado and some fresh salsa. What a wonderful and filling breakfast. YUM! I adore avocados!

shannon is offline Senior Member
    good 4 u. throwing u a party avocado's are risky but worth it when u get a perfect one
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I've had only one and it got nasty, quick! I have yet to venture that way again.

I would like to try it again, but I will definitely need a plan for it before I buy it; How will I eat it and when? Without a plan and a sure fire way of finding the right one, I'm afraid I may never eat another one.

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    I want to learn to like avocado. I've gotten eggplant and cabbage under my belt, so avocado is my next step. I just don't know what to do with it.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you could ask whomever is working produce to select an avocado for you "for today." That way you will be sure to get a good one.

The best avocado I've ever had in my life was selected for me by a Mexican produce man while I was living in south Texas. He asked me, "For today?" I said yes, he chose accordingly, and it was absolute perfection.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    split it in half, sprinkle some salt or salsa over one half, and grab a spoon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast