Thread: How exactly are supplements made? page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

How exactly are supplements made?

Shop Now
    Very vague question, I know, but it's something I've wondered for a while now. I keep hearing about how our mineral-depleted soils result in vegetation which is severely handicapped nutritionally, which is ultimately passed down the food chain and resulting generally in food that is nowhere as nutrient-dense as before. This is one basis of why supplements are recommended, but where exactly are the nutrients within supplements extracted (or produced) from?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    *scratches head*

I wondered too, then decided I might not want to know! Manufactured by chemistry labs I guess?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I used to work as a supplement buyer for about a decade, so I can answer in part
    It depends on the supplement. Many synthetic (not to be confused with "isolated") vitamins are made from coal tar. Nice.
    As far as natural-source isolates, Vit. C, for example, is made from corn sugar (or sometimes sago palm starch) and they keep removing molecules until they're left with ascorbic acid. Most Vit. E (alpha tocopherol) is made from fractions of soy. Calcium carbonate is from chalk/limestone. Calcium citrate is carbonate bound with citric acid. B-12 is a fermentation byproduct. Some forms of selenium are also a byproduct of yeast fermentation.
    D3 is made from lanolin (through a process of irradiation- don't let that word scare you!) or from fish liver oil. Some Vit. A is from fish liver oil also.

Some supplements like "whole food" vitamins and minerals (Garden of Life, New Chapter, Mega Food) are made by feeding a small amount of isolated vitamins and food compounds to live Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (nutritional yeast) and fermenting them into an organic structure.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Jane, that's really cool & interesting info!

Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    D3 is made from lanolin (through a process of irradiation- don't let that word scare you!) ...
    Wait, they microwave sheep?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeThePurple View Post
    Thanks Jane, that's really cool & interesting info!

Wait, they microwave sheep?
    Heehee!
    Remember- UV rays are a form of "irradiation". They process the lanolin with UV (so does our skin;-) The bad kind of radiation is done with gamma rays.