Thread: College food getting me down page

PrimalMouse is offline Member

College food getting me down

Shop Now
    Hey folks,
    Im currently attending college, and live at the dorms so im pretty much forced to eat at the cafeterias, which is not good because nearly all the food is either fake, or of the lowest quality. Ive been doing my best to eat primal and paleo, however the missing element i believe is the quality of the food. The eggs are "yolk-free" and vitamin enriched, and are awful. The bacon is paper thin and has little taste, and the meat is rubbery and gray. I think all of this crap food is beginning to work against me, and im started to think its depressing me.
    So even though the food is terrible, if i eat primal/paleo oriented, will i still be able to reap some of the benefits?

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Is there anyway you can go to the store and get some stuff? Do you have a stove in your dorm? That way you can cook meats/eggs. If you don't have stove, maybe you can buy food outside of the dorms that would be better quality?

BethanyK is offline Senior Member
    I think aiming to be primal would be better than eating SAD anyday.

What do you have available for you for cooking and food storage options in your room? Do you have a fridge? A microwave? A hotplate? An outlet for a small crockpot? I think you could eat reasonably well on a college budget with some creativity and minimal cooking. But even if you can't have any of that in your room, I still think choosing as primal as possible is better than loading up on sandwiches or cereal.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya, meal plans make primal eating fairly difficult....but you just need to get creative.