Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ack...Vegetarian needs help

Shop Now
    Blukazu, you might find this blog entry about beans and paleo dieting interesting:

http://www.paleo-diet.co/2010/09/bea...paleo-dieting/

This thread has led me on a tangent concerning gut flora and imbalances caused by diet. I was vegetarian/vegan for a number of years and while I was the thinnest (skinniest?) I'd ever been as an adult I also felt weak. Could a lifetime of vegetarianism lead to a lack of bacteria necessary for meat digestion making the revulsion to meat somewhat understandable?

Interesting take on this especially as relates to protein deficiency and excess fiber in the diet: http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/flora.html

I eat beans myself... pinto, black, and kidney specifically... however I buy only dried beans and do all of my own soaking and cooking. These are my '20 percent' and the only non-primal foods I eat. I could do much worse I think.

@ blukazu: =D Yay you!

(yes! especially with parenting!)
    Last edited by Debbie; 10-17-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added who I was talking to =D

Supplement some zinc. Your taste buds rely on it. Problem solved.

Since you seem inclined to crunchier meats, how about beef jerky? We've been using a dehydrator lately with our own beef jerky marinades, either from sheets of beef or using ground beef (less stringy that way...)

About digestion after being vegetarian ... of course one can always try to make flora better, and feed them better, and it usually is a good idea. But I suspect that if one has trouble digesting meat just after it has been added to a meatless diet, it's more likely to be digestive enzymes. The body is thrifty and economical. If one isn't using something, it is down-regulated. This tendency may also explain how people eating Primal can have a little return to bread or sweets, and suddenly they feel just awful. The enzymes to deal with carbs may not be produced as plentifully as before.

So, if you start slowly with the meat, and gradually eat a little more and a little more, in pretty short order the enzymes will start being produced in the right amount again.

This is probably true for eating saturated fat as well.

Blukazu, I think lizch is correct in saying that you should introduce meat in small amounts with plenty of veg, it seems to be working for me, I am making sure I eat one small amount every day. Try and use lard, beef dripping and butter when you are cooking as well.

Princess Grok, I think Blukazu and I both recognise that eating Primal is best and that is why we are here and that is why Blukazu is asking for a bit of constructive advice (not criticism). On a personal note I don't really consider myself to be vegetarian, not with all the Wild caught fish that I eat - that seems to be a label other folk give me, but I do think that I eat Primal, and coming from this small island maybe my Grok Cave was by the sea. I do wonder if I am not getting enough of the right nutrients though and is it possible that I could be getting too much omega 3 compared to omega 6 until I get my meat content up?

piano-doctor-lady: Thank you! I like bacon but, until recently, rarely ate it because it was *so bad*. The bacon did not make me feel sick but cooking with the grease did. I just figured I wouldn't do it anymore; it never occurred to me that I might lack something necessary to digest it. (Butter and EEVO are total non-issues.) I had other unpleasant symptoms with full-fat yogurt and thought I'd wait a month or two before trying it again but, according to your theory, that might be the last thing I should do. Hmmm ... at this very moment, I am not feeling so hot, so I am just going to IF until I am hungry. I think I am going to stay away from the offending foods for awhile and then re-introduce them, one at a time (like one a week), in a little amount ... see what happens, and take it from there.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Blyss View Post
    ...is it possible that I could be getting too much omega 3 compared to omega 6 until I get my meat content up?
    You'd probably be the only person in the country with this problem if so! If in doubt, eat an almond or two.