Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sausages yes or no? page

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member

Question Sausages yes or no?

Primal Fuel
    So I never touched them, because lets face it, they are processed meat. Not primal.

But then I thought about it, they may be some acceptable and delicious options out there.

I found some great ones with 85%-95% wild organic meat content in my supermaket (Sainsbury's)

Then theres the carbs (rusk, wheat flour corn flour etc.....) but in these it equates to less than 2%, or 5.5g of carbs per 100g (in these good ones). So so long as you aren't obsessive about carb counting, this seems a perfectly acceptable way to live primally in a modern world... i.e. occasional compromise or your 20%.

Then the reasons why they are great:
    Good quality sausages have had seasoning, herbs and spices packed in to he meat to maximise the flavour, imagine marinading your meat all day before cooking.... but this is more thorough.

Then you've got the fact that the skin holds in the juices when cooking making the flavours ooze into the juices and keeping the meat succulent. WHY DO PEOPLE PIERCE THE SKINS?! because they are using CW. Keep all the drippings in and enjoy your greasy sausages if you ask me , regular meat loses all those delicious liquids...

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by rockstareddy; 10-16-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    I think it is the breakfast sausages that are processed and should be avoided. We used to make homemade Italian sausage a lot as a kid and well with the family owning a butcher shop, nothing was processed in the sausage, it was ground up pork and fat with italian seasoning being stuffed into a sausage skin. I have to admit as a kid it was fun working that machine LOL. I would say it was safe to eat the real rope Italian sausage that you can buy in the meat section, not the prepackaged jimmy dean style.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering about this as of late, too. I think I'm going to restrict my consumption of processed meats to Applegate Farms breakfast sausages two to three times per week. I find that I feel lethargic after I eat any other kind of processed meat, no matter how "natural" or "minimally processed" it is.

milly3 is offline Member
    I buy sausages from a local farm that is 100% clean. If you can do that, then YES YES YES YES! They are so good and filling, and you can fry eggs in the grease.
    Also, I have a theory that they are quite nutrient-laden, because they have things in them like innards and brain and other leftovers that you don't like to think about, but contain "rare" nutrients that you need.

But if you're just buying wal-mart sausage...that fat has everything from pesticides to antibiotics in it, I would avoid.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    So I never touched them, because lets face it, they are processed meat. Not primal.
    Not sure why the Brits put all that rusk, flours, whatever grains and other ingredients in their sausages. The sausages we make are ground pork with whatever organic spices to make the desired type of sausage. Not processed. Primal.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i like the pork breakfast sausage made on site at Whole Foods. No filler.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, there's definitely primal sausage options here in the States. I mean they're "processed" in the sense that they're ground up, but that's no more processed than any meat would be after you chew it. And you can get them without added sodium nitrate (Applegate Farms for example) and they're delicious.

(Of course, I don't necessarily think that celery salt is super-superior to adding sodium nitrate -- they BOTH add nitrate, technically, and the celery salt can actually add more! They're all cured in that sense. But I think Applegate tastes great, so hey.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Mum bought some Bramley apple & pork bangers from M&S and I had a couple tonight. I gave the ingredients a cursory glance - no rusk, no oatmeal. After I'd eaten them - I looked at the package again - HONEY AND SUGAR - ARGH!! Why both...? Seems overkill to me. Thought they were sweet but I thought that was just the apples.

Oh well, chalk that up to the 20%. And the apple pie and custard.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I love me some sausage! I get Jones breakfast sausage patties, they are natural and have some that are not maple, so no added sugar. I also get the stuff the butcher makes. I do have to be careful with some brands though, as they add textured vegetable protein (barf!) as do ALL the frozen meatballs in out commissary.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The sausages at the local marketplace butcher are just ground pork, porkfat and spices. They are delish. And I eat them regularly.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast