Thread: What real benefits for wife if she reaches 80% Primal? page

kcult is offline Senior Member

What real benefits for wife if she reaches 80% Primal?

Shop Now
    I won't know until my next visit what Primal has done for my numbers, but my wife is dabbling in Primal and I'm curious what real benefits there would be for her if she went at least 80%.

She pretty much always ate crackers and bread and chips and hard candy and drank Pepsi and she ate butterbeans, pinto beans, rice, rolls, etc.. She has never been much of a meat eater and would even just eat the crust off of fried chicken and I would finish it off.

As I said, she's been dabbling in it. She still will eat cheese on crackers and some potato chips when she gets the notion. I don't think she eats candy anymore and she's been eating less and less of the rice and bean stuffs.

Her numbers before she even started:

Fasting glucose 70 mg/dL
    Triglycerides 67 mg/dL
    HDL 76 mg/dL
    LDL 73 mg/dL

She's 4' 11", about 92lbs. (and that's down about 4lbs since she started) and her BP usually runs about 90/60.

Ailments: She suffers from migraines occasionally and she'll suffer hypoglycemia once in a while where she will wake up sick and wanting orange juice and finally pukes.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm... well definitely the less she eats of the crackers, sugars and stuff and more good fats, the less she will be affected by hypoglycemic symptoms.

As for the migrains, it will probably help to eat better foods and eliminate the bad stuff, but without more info it's hard to see what may or may not be causing them.

I'd suggest maybe just figuring out some foods that she likes that are Primal and havng those around more often. If good stuff is there and she actually likes it, she may lean that way more often. Maybe make veggie chips to have with french onion dip, pumpkin muffins, coconut flour pancakes, eggs and sweet potato fries for breakfasts... just some suggestions, but you get my drift.

Other than that though, you really can't make someone change. There's been a lot of threads about spouses, and the ones I've seen that were successful were where the Primal spouse didn't try to change the other person at all, didn't talk about it all of the time and didn't try to "convince" them. They just provided really great food for meals, did their own thing and the spouse noticed the changes, or liked the meals and slowly started to drop the bad stuff, or ask questions. She may (or may not) do this, but truly it's her decision. Some people though will respond badly if they think they're being pushed into something they don't want, and may resist just because of the way it's being handled.

Just some thoughts...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcult View Post
    Her numbers before she even started:

Fasting glucose 70 mg/dL
    Triglycerides 67 mg/dL
    HDL 76 mg/dL
    LDL 73 mg/dL
    Holy good ratios, batman! The woman has some great genes. Her total may go up but overall, but her ratios will stay fabulous. She may need to up her carbs or fat as she experiments with this. Clearly, she doesn't need to loose any weight. Or reduce her bp.

Ailments: She suffers from migraines occasionally and she'll suffer hypoglycemia once in a while where she will wake up sick and wanting orange juice and finally pukes.
    Her blood sugar control will likely improve over time. Her migraines may disappear if she gets sufficient magnesium and b6 over time - at least that's what works for me.

My littlest one (9yo, 46 lbs, very low body fat, 6 pack abs, just naturally thin) also has blood sugar control issues that are much much better when she's strictly off grains/sugar but it's hard for her to adapt to no grains/sugar. Of course, she can eat potato, sweet potato, yam, winter squash and other non-grain carby foods to her hearts content. I always insure they are ingested with signficant saturated fat and protein to avoid blood sugar issues.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies!

We don't know where her genes came from. Most, if not all of her immediate family members have issues with high numbers across the board. I've kidded with her before that her Dad was not her real Dad, but I may now have the proof! Muhahahaha! Just kidding. (She reads the forums, too.)

She's eager to give it a more serious go and has already mentioned that it's been a while since she's had one of her headaches and would like to think it's because of diet.
    Last edited by kcult; 10-17-2010 at 01:05 PM.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    Hey, she sounds like me! I've always been effortlessly thin and lean, ate mostly garbage (and vegetarian) for many years although I've never been scared to eat tons of fats. I've never seen anyone post a lipid panel so close to my last (pre-primal: trigs 54, LDL 74, HDL 71).

For me, the benefits have been huge and varied, but I had quite a few issues at the time I went Pirmal. I've also been a migraine sufferer for many years, and have many issues with hypoglycemia. Both have been eliminated on a primal diet. Other issues like IBS symptoms, eczema and many other other skin problems, and the painful and debilitating periods I always had - gone. PB has improved my fertility (lengthened my luteal phase, better-quality cervical mucus) and seems to have balanced my female hormones - my head hair is thickening, my body hair is much finer and more sparse, my skin is clear, and I put on some fat in a couple key areas without seeing much of a weight increase...

Like cillakat's skinny kid I feel much my best with plenty of daily carbs. But grains give me a lot of digestive issues, so I stick to root veg.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    She'll be really horny.
    End of thread.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    YMMV - I got the opposite. Less testosterone.