Thread: Just a few questions about carbs, fat, and coffee page

MissJill422 is offline Junior Member

Just a few questions about carbs, fat, and coffee

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1. Do I have to give up coffee? If so....what am I allowed to drink besides water?
    2. What is the highest number of carbs I can eat in a meal if I'm trying to lose weight?
    3. How much fat a day can I eat (I want to lose about 30 lbs.)?

I'm a little ocd and need numbers...I cant just guesstimate

Last edited by MissJill422; 10-17-2010 at 09:28 AM.

tmac10 is offline Member
    1) I still drink coffee. I also drink water and unsweetened tea with lemon.
    2) The weight loss "sweet spot" is between 50g-100g however there are some days I try to stay under 50g and sometimes more.
    3) I dont "track" the amt of fat I eat, just eat a lot of fat! Fat is good for you!
    My Primal Journey

"success is determined by
    how you handle setbacks" - lululemon

Weekly Weigh In :
    10/1/10 SW: 165.8

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    I'm OCD to, literally and here are the answers.

1: No, you don't have to give up coffee. May want to cut back on the amount you have to a couple cups per day, real cups. That's just my opinion. Caffeine effects my blood pressure.

2: Mark created a pyramid on this issue. If you want fast weight loss you should have less than 50g of carbs per day. If you want steady weight loss, you should have between 50-100 g of carbs. Realize that all of this is just a guide and will depend on how your body reacts to what you eat and do.

3: Not sure what the official recommended percentage is, but I would make sure you get at least 50% of your calories from good fats (EVOO, coconut oil, animal fat, nuts, etc..). Track your food on fitday.com

Good luck. I'm down 27 pounds so far.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend you buy the Primal Blueprint book. It will answer those questions and is such an inspirational read. You might also want to check out some of the links under Primal Blueprint 101 under the "About" menu (though, personally, I find that part of the website has too MUCH information to begin with. The book is easier to digest!)

1) I drink coffee

2) The sweet spot is between 50 and 100g, as tmac10 said. I don't track my macronutrients at all any more, and it's been such a relief, after YEARS of obsessing about that kinda thing! I've entered my daily intake a couple of times since starting Primal just out of curiosity, and my carbs seem to be somewhere between 50 and 75, even now I'm in maintenance. I do that simply by avoiding grains/sugar, eating little fruit (and when I do it's berries), and eating primarily low-carb veggies. I do this without thought and feelings of deprivation now.

3) Don't count fat. Just eat it. Eat the right amount of protein (can't remember the numbers--someone else will hopefully know!) and avoid too many carbs, and then fill up on fat.

Good luck!!!!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thanks so much....I'm a little scared about the low carb thing. I was a figure competitor and I was consuming probably 25g or less of carbs a day for 6 weeks....I lost alot of fat (was down to 8% bodyfat) but I got really sick from it (was cold and tired all the time and it triggered uncontrollable binges) I felt like a crazy person.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    1. Drink coffee if you like it, but don't sweeten it. Lemon wedge in water is nice, as is cucumber. Drink coconut milk! Only 500 calories per glass.
    2. I think a more productive approach would be to cook some meals from the primal cookbook, or meals people describe on here. If you like them, then enter the ingredients into fitday and see how many carbs there are. Also, everyone is different with regard to their carb situation. Mark's pyramid is a useful starting suggestion. Generally though, keeping it under 100g/day isn't too hard.
    3. Eat fat till you get full. Don't worry about the fat ratios - just avoid sugars and starches, eat high quality nutritious foods, and not any more than you need to feel full. Add butter, coconut oil, etc. to your food only if you enjoy the taste of rich and delicious meals.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I was a figure competitor and I was consuming probably 25g or less of carbs a day for 6 weeks....I lost alot of fat (was down to 8% bodyfat) but I got really sick from it (was cold and tired all the time and it triggered uncontrollable binges) I felt like a crazy person.
    Many folks when reducing carbs to that point, are missing out on signficiant selenium, zinc, potassium, magnesium and other nutrients that keep organ systems functioning smoothly. Since it's likely that ketosis and VLC was the norm for various time periods in an evolutionary environment, we should be able to handle it once we are adapted to it, as long as nutrient needs are being met.

I do pretty darn well around 100g fat per day (900 kcal) and 90-100g protein (360-400 kcal). Having experimented pretty extensively with carb counts at various levels, I find that my energy, mood stability, focus, ability to think clearly and executive function are optimized at around 50ish g carbs (200ish kcal). Sometimes I eat a lot more than this, sometimes I eat a lot less than this (ie if I'm just not hungry or if I'm fasting).

Keep in mind that it did take me *8 weeks* (hellish low carb flu, migraines and insomnia) to adapt to ketosis the first time and now if I come out ketosis - even by a boatload - readapting takes no effort and causes no discomfort: my body can move fairly effortlessly between various fuels.

Nutrient intake is something i pay attention to in a way that probably isn't typical here. Sometimes I track specifics in nutritiondata.self.com Other times I just estimate my Ω3:Ω6 ratios and micronutrient intake but either way, I always supplement accordingly to bring my intake up to what I know to be necessary for me - which is never about the RDI/RDA.

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

That was really helpful Katherine Thank you..... I wasn't taking any supplements