Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal penny pinching! page

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Talking Primal penny pinching!

Primal Fuel
    Well, maybe not pinching...

I'm interested in those little things we all do to cut a corner, save some money, make our resources stretch further; in the interests of those who struggle to afford the food they want, or the gear. Post up your tips and tricks here! Could be pretty much anything

For example:
    I've pinned a cheap fleece over my living room window as an extra layer of insulation when the temperature drops

I cook lots of one-pot meals - saves fuel, saves washing up (so saves hot water)

I have a veg patch - ish. It's yielded two jars of pickled beetroot for winter.

I'm not too proud to rummage through my friends' Oxfam bags (clothes destined for charity shops) - a bonus being I can now fit into most of the pieces! Ditto with hen houses! Take it, then find a use for it

I do spend where its warranted - I bought a large woolly wrap jumpery thing - it was expensive for me - but worth it because it's so gorgeous I'm wondering when to stop wearing it long enough to wash it! One nice thing is worth a thousand slighty shitty ones.

On that note, I want one or two GOOD knives - so there is less wastage when cutting meat from bone

I'm aiming (haha) to eat game for a couple of months - while they're fat - and save my freezer full of meat for harder times

I'm trying to teach myself to knit, so I can have a ready supply of welly socks (and will be able to do something with my sheeps' wool next year)

I'm reading up on tanning hides, so I can collect sheepskins and put them to use with minimal costs

If I ever catch a rabbit, I will tan the hide, collect, and make some approximation of slippers or welly liners

I scattered lavendar in the work van instead of air freshener

Look at things twice - my "chopping through bone" kitchen tool is a cheap pair of garden secateurs; my washing line is held up with a bird feeder holder (posh hook on a stick). My hen house is raised off the floor on breeze blocks from a broken wall. The sides of the run are security panels, with the mesh repaired by cable ties.

Share your secrets! I wanna be the best Primal Penny Pincher I can be!

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Holy Moly I think you win Mine will look pale in comparison,

We hang our clothes on the line for the most part so that saves a bit of money on the electric bill. At least until the freezing weather comes, than I can't.

I buy meat in bulk and freeze it so it is cheaper

I buy veggies in bulk and prep and freeze most of them, some I keep on hand for immediate consumption.

I also try to buy in season and plan our meals around that too.

We keep the heat in the house at a static 68 in the winter and if it is chilly put on more clothes.

That is about it for us, we really don't coupon shop or anything like that because there are rarely coupons for meat, veggies and eggs LOL. I used to be a big coupon queen but I am reformed now.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Well done NMG

I always try to get reduced meat and freeze in bulk. I cook from scratch; making up chilli/curry sauces from onions/garlic/spices. I bulk-buy what I can.

Compared to 99% of other 25 year old males, I'd say my diet/lifestyle is very affordable, very healthy, very sustainable (By myself I mean;not the environmental interpretation of the word), and very satisfying!

The downside is looking at the other 99% and thinking "You're not gonna eat that are y- oh you did...".

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Hehehe, what I do is "normal" to me so sometimes I get a surprise at what other folk *don't* do....!!

You know what they say about Yorkshire natives

Keep 'em coming!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    NMG, you're my kinda gal. Another frugalista here!

I hate to taunt you Brits without Whole Foods Markets, but there are some deals to be had right now. I just returned from there.

Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk (canned) -- $1.24
    on sale for $1.79 (normally $1.99), plus there is a coupon* for $0.75 off

Muir Glen organic tomatoes (canned) -- $0.99
    normally $1.99, and there is a coupon* for $1.00 off
    I got fire roasted

So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk beverage -- $0.67
    normally $2.59 each, on sale 3/$5 PLUS there is a coupon* for $1.00 off

*The Whole Deal coupon booklet (free) is at the front entrance of the store.

Also, for Portland, Oregon/southwest Washington area folks (I'm not exactly sure if Seattle is included in this deal), they have Dungeness crabs on sale for $4.99 lb (!), through tomorrow (Sunday) only.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 10-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    I dropped $189 @ WF's & $80 @ TJ's last night. I dont think I can even respond to this one. But I do buy in bulk & on sale. A vacuum sealer is key as well as a dehydrator.. I was thinking about "Squirell jerky". All I need now is my pellet rifle & some patience. I think my wife would shit if I hung a blanket on a window though.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

milly3 is offline Member
    FOOD:
    I eat a lot of canned tuna.
    I buy kale and collard greens instead of lettuce (better for you anyway!)
    I eat a lot of eggs (even the local pastured ones make a cheap meal)
    I eat sausage and "low" cuts of meat
    I go to all the church dinners I can

OTHER STUFF
    I buy pretty much all my clothes at Goodwill...mall shopping bores me to tears, actually. I need the thrill of the chase!
    I keep my heat low
    I barely ever eat out

most recently i've been only eating once a day...I'm trying to drop a few pounds so I'm doing that quickly AND saving a ton of money!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Roast your own whole chicken; it costs half as much as buying that ready-to-eat rotisserie chicken.

Easy how to:
    http://www.frugallivingnw.com/frugal...roast-chicken/

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Well done NMG

I always try to get reduced meat and freeze in bulk. I cook from scratch; making up chilli/curry sauces from onions/garlic/spices. I bulk-buy what I can.

Compared to 99% of other 25 year old males, I'd say my diet/lifestyle is very affordable, very healthy, very sustainable (By myself I mean;not the environmental interpretation of the word), and very satisfying!

The downside is looking at the other 99% and thinking "You're not gonna eat that are y- oh you did...".
    you are 25?! thought you were older - you seem so wise!

yeah coconut milke is friggin expensive here . went into sainsbury looking for some - 2.15!! - gits

I buy mince, versatile for many dishes.
    i buy frozen broccoli, cauli, green beans.
    i use a supermarket comparison site to find out who has got best offers on meat and fish...
    i buy things like Venison chunks (2.50), duck legs x2 (2.50) and chicken thighs...

I have my blankie on the sofa...fleece on one side, furry on the other...snuggle. it was 15 from Tesco!

i just bought a skirt, a cardi, a jumper, two light scarves and one thick one and a pair of leggings for squash/zumba for about 20 from our excellent selection of charity shops!

Although I just wasted about 2.50of almond flour in a cookie recipe by burning the damned stuff! aaarrrgh!
    Last edited by queen_sheba; 10-16-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I'm from New England. Enough said.

http://www.frugalyankee.com/

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast