Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut flour questions page

Annika is offline Senior Member

Coconut flour questions

Does anyone adapt recipes by substituting coconut flour for wheat flour? The first time I tried baking with coconut flour I did that - what a mess. I made brownies, and instead of a cup of white flour, I used almost a cup of coconut flour. HA! I didn't know a little coconut flour goes a loooong way. My brownies ended up crumbly and dry.

Is there a magic ratio I can use for substituting? Say, follow a recipe as written, except use 1/4 cup coconut flour instead of 1 cup wheat flour? Or is it not so simple?

The reason I want to know is that I recently put my son on a gluten-free diet. My daughter loves to bake, and I would rather she use coconut flour than the more carby and grain-based gluten-free blends that are available. Also, why is coconut flour not more popular among the gluten-intolerant crowd? I looked at several gluten-free cookbooks and none of them used coconut flour as a main ingredient.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I myself would be very careful of using that much coconut flour, whatever the ratio you figure out (for one thing, you'll need a LOT more liquid in the recipe, as coconut flour is extremely dry and soaks up moisture like crazy). Once last summer I made some breadsticks with coconut flour, and ate a bit larger portion than I intended (though not a large portion at all, based on eating bread) and it absolutely tore up my guts -- I don't know if it was the fiber or what, but the most agonizing gas pains. I will stick to recipes using at most 2 Tbs. from now on!

Coconut flour is also very high in calories and fat, comparatively, so I'd think that would be a main factor for many gluten intolerant folks. I really don't think it's a good all-around substitute for grain flour, however.

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    I just asked this same question in the ratio post. Basically I was told for 1 oz. coconut flour 1 xtra egg.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    oh and most gluten free sites will prefer rice flour because it can do the same thing as white flour that is why, most who strive for gluten free aren't going primal necessarily either, the nut flours are much higher in fat and calories for the SAD.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    try almond meal or flour. I dont like the results of coconut flour. It becomes very dense & "Cakey" even if you find the right moisture level.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

mizski is offline Senior Member
    According to Bruce Fife (Cooking With Coconut Flour), when adapting recipes you can replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with Coconut Flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe. That leaves the decision on what to use as a substitute for the remaining wheat flour. Some use a small amount of almond flour in combination with rice flour, GF garbanzo fava flour, potato flour and/or tapioca flour and some don't bother with the almond flour. Both coco flour and almond (or other nut flours) will change the final product as it will be much more dense than the fluffy, lightness of wheat flours or the GF flours alone.

Neither coco flour nor almond flour can be used as a 1 for 1 substitute for wheat flour.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    A ratio of 1/3 cup of coconut flour to 4 eggs works well.

wildema1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieProf View Post
    I myself would be very careful of using that much coconut flour, whatever the ratio you figure out (for one thing, you'll need a LOT more liquid in the recipe, as coconut flour is extremely dry and soaks up moisture like crazy). Once last summer I made some breadsticks with coconut flour, and ate a bit larger portion than I intended (though not a large portion at all, based on eating bread) and it absolutely tore up my guts -- I don't know if it was the fiber or what, but the most agonizing gas pains. I will stick to recipes using at most 2 Tbs. from now on!

Coconut flour is also very high in calories and fat, comparatively, so I'd think that would be a main factor for many gluten intolerant folks. I really don't think it's a good all-around substitute for grain flour, however.
    I had a bad experience too but instead of gas pains I woke up the next day and felt like I drank the entire night prior. Head throbbing, nauseaous, couldnt get out of bed. I think it must have been the overload of fats. I still havent really figured it out. I eat a lot less coconut flour now too.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildema1 View Post
    I had a bad experience too but instead of gas pains I woke up the next day and felt like I drank the entire night prior. Head throbbing, nauseaous, couldnt get out of bed. I think it must have been the overload of fats. I still havent really figured it out. I eat a lot less coconut flour now too.
    I just want to mentioned that coconut flour is actually de-fattened unlike other coconut products. It is very fibrous though.

wildema1 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    I just want to mentioned that coconut flour is actually de-fattened unlike other coconut products. It is very fibrous though.
    Then I really have no clue why I felt so bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast