Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Tabata Ideas? Try This One And Post Your Own Faves... page

Adam Steer Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey All,

Just posted one of my favorite bodyweight exercises to use with the Tabata protocol (20/10s).

http://www.bodyweightcoach.com/08/bodyweight-tabatar-fat-loss/

What's your favoriteóbesides burpies, 'cause I know that's what you were gonna say... ;-)

Cheers,

Adam

redforevergone Guest

Apparently you are well versed w/ Scott Sonnon and Fitflow etc... Why not use the last move in Fitflow II the One Legged Spinal Rock. That would probably work well if one could execute the move. Hindu Squats could be another option. And depending on one's view of hard style kettlebell the Viking Warrior VO2 max protocol snatch workout is a burner.

Griff is offline Senior Member

I read your post and had to find out more about Tabatas. Right now I'm limited to bodyweight exercises, because sprinting would probably injure me (I weigh nearly 400# right now - beginner here).

I just did four minutes of Tabata doing squats, and my heart is still racing six minutes later! Not as fast as it was, but I got it up to 138/min from a resting rate of about 66. That's more than double. I'm VERY impressed. I was able to do about 23 squats per 20 seconds (not sure if that's good or bad)...

I'm adding this to my workouts at least three times a week!

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

kyleec Guest

I like 4 rounds with the following sequence:

burpees

jumping jacks (high intensity, aim for 25 per 20 secs)

pushups

squats

Each for a 4 minute round, no rest between rounds obviously. I use the jumping jacks as a sort of working-rest from the burpees but something more hardcore can be substituted.

JBraun Guest

bottom to bottom tabatas are always a killer...have you guys done those? holding the bottom of the squat for the rest...

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

Mountain climbers and planks!

James17 Guest

Ever try fighting a sandbag? It sounds strange but I like to take a sandbag (or a car tyre, old matress, punch bag or another pretty heavy thing - boxing gloves might help if it's a hard surface) and punch, kick, headbutt, elbow and throw it hard and fast for 20 seconds at the highest intensity I can. I'm always pooped after it!

If you use your imagination and pretend it's an animal you can even give it a primal feel. Alternitavely, you can pretend it's somebody who really gets on your nerves! The latter option is great after a bad day at work...

Clint is offline Senior Member

I mix in a lot of different Tabata things into my workout plan but my two favorites are:

Tabata Sledgehammer swings on a tire

Tabata BW squats, but your 10 sec rest is done in the "down" position.

Nick Guest

As loathe as I am to quote Lyle McDonald, here we go:
    [quote]

Itís also relevant to note that the study used a bike for training. This is important and hereís why: on a stationary bike, when you start to get exhausted and fall apart from fatigue, the worst that happens is that you stop pedalling. You donít fall off, you donít get hurt, nothing bad happens. The folks suggesting high skill movements for a ĎTabataí workout might want to consider that. Because when form goes bad on cleans near the end of the ĎTabataí workout, some really bad things can happen. Things that donít happen on a stationary bike.

As well, I want to make a related comment: as you can see above the protocol used was VERY specific. The interval group used 170% of VO2 max for the high intensity bits and the wattage was increased by a specific amount when the workout was completed. Let me put this into real world perspective.

My VO2 max occurs somewhere between 300-330watts on my power bike, I can usually handle that for repeat sets of 3 minutes and maybe 1 all out-set of 5-8 minutes if Iím willing to really suffer. Thatís how hard it is, itís a maximal effort across that time span.

For a proper Tabata workout, 170% of that wattage would be 510 watts (for perspective, Tour De France cyclists may maintain 400 watts for an hour). This is an absolutely grueling workload. I suspect that most reading this, unless they are a trained cyclist, couldnít turn the pedals at that wattage, thatís how much resistance there is.

If you donít believe me, find someone with a bike with a powermeter and see how much effort it takes to generate that kind of power output. Now do it for 20 seconds. Now repeat that 8 times with a 10 second break. You might learn something about what a Tabata workout actually is.

My point is that to get the benefits of the Tabata protocol, the workload has to be that supra-maximal for it to be effective. Doing thrusters or KB swings or front squats with 65 lbs of 20 seconds doesnít generate nearly the workload that was used during the actual study. Nor will it generate the benefits (which Iíd note again stop accruing after a mere 3 weeks). You can call them Tabatas all you want but they assuredly arenít.
    </blockquote>

Having spent a lot of time doing Tabata intervals over the last 5 years, I feel I can say there&#39;s no way I could safely achieve the same level of exertion while trying to perform an exercise with good form, or especially with weights.

Clint is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

While McDonald makes a good point and I agree that very light or NO weights should be used during this form of training, Tabata here is merely a generic term for a specific time protocol for a HIIT regimen. The 20/10 is NOT a magic time ratio. You could easily do 15/15, 20/15, 30/15, etc. It&#39;s merely a HIIT protocol. It&#39;s just easy to say Tabata when discussing using an interval of 20/10.

About the gains only occurring for 3 weeks. That may be true, but remember the original study had the participants doing ONLY the bike work. I think everyone here is talking about incorporating the exercises in to an already established workout schedule.

That&#39;s my 2 cents, anyways!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast