Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Tabata Ideas? Try This One And Post Your Own Faves... page 3

bruce.b is offline Member

Just because lots of people call a 20/10 time pattern Tabata doesn't mean they should call it that. As Nick said, it's *not* a Tabata Protocol unless you're doing it exactly like the study. There's really no wiggle room here. I've played around with them on a stationary bike (and tried to do them on my singlespeed bike) and it's not an easy protocol to do.

A really good interval protocol I use (not Tabata) is 35/35 seconds x 14 sets of two handed swings with a heavy kettlebell. Two handed swings are a lot more effective (for me) than one handers if your goal is a killer, max HR interval workout.

bruce.b

JBraun Guest

Nick, I agree with you. I was just giving you a hard time...but I forget sometimes that people in a forum don't know me or my sense of humor and that humor doesn't always translate well in type.

Jedi is offline Member

bruce, I do agree, eg bodyweight squats won't get my HR up enough to call it tabata at all. I also like the two handed swings, works for me

Godzilla is offline Senior Member

Here's a great explanation on tabata intervals, from strength coach Dan John: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_tabata_method

He recommends front squats and thrusters. They are killers. I've used rope skipping, medicine ball slams, cycling on a stationary bike, KB swings, bodyweight squats. I want to try the sledgehammer on a tire. Whole-body exercises work best.

I live in Tokyo. If I find Prof. Izumi Tabata, I'll try and interview him but he may only give me 20 seconds of his time.

Godzilla is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._faster_longer The author I mentioned above now says tabata thrusters are too hard and squats are best.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123