Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is sugar a worse sweetener than other options? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Why is sugar a worse sweetener than other options?

Primal Fuel
    From what I understand, all sweeteners (save maybe Stevia and a few others) you should probably skip. Either they are chemical (bad) or they are the simplest form of carbohydrate and turn right to glucose.

Buuut.....I'm not sure why maple syrup or honey is a better sweetener if you're going to have to use one kind of thing. Does it have to do with the processing?

(Also, I know local honey is good against allergies, but that still leaves maple syrup at least).

Oh, and what about yacon?

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    They both have low GI (Glycemic Index). Either way, they are sugar. They have the same destructive properties as plain white sugar. Period!

localad is offline Senior Member
    Table (regular) sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave. All these are about half fructose which it increasingly seems is not a good sugar to eat in large amounts.

If I have to have something sweetened I use 100% glucose powder. (in the smallest possible dose!)
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I think a preference might be given to honey and maple syrup because you can buy/use these products in a raw, unprocessed state. Table sugar is pretty refined. IMO, there's not much difference...I just try to avoid altogether. I eat such small quantities that when I want to use sugar, I don't freak or stress over a little table sugar.

Will be interested in other perspectives on this...
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I use maple syrup plus stevia. You can typically cut the sweetener by 1/2 or down to 1/4 of what a recipe calls for if you add enough liquid and some stevia.

I'm really interested in this topic. I too would probably use straight glucose if it wasn't all corn based. (My ds has a corn intolerance and just can't do corn w/out awful reactions so we avoid it in all forms...)

Interested in reading what others think. Also, any thoughts on more 'natural/unrefined' sugars like rapadura as compared to maple syrup/honey? Hmmm...

Lizzie125 is offline Member
    Raw honey and maple syrup have other health properties that may make the trade-off worthwhile for some. Raw honey is very healing so even if you can't eat it you can use it on wounds, as a face mask (in the bath) or as part of a scrub.

If you are insulin sensitive however the effect on your body is the same as sugar, however.

I read about the "health properties" in these sweeteners, but can't remember exactly what they are--minerals I think? My memory fails me. I will return with more concrete info and links.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    How about molasses? There's some at the bottom of my pantry... wondering if I have any excuse to use it. I used to think of it as a hugely useful source of minerals, but I suppose that all depends on what else you have to compare it with.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Refined sugar is empty carbs, brown sugar has traces of minerals with it, maple syrup has manganese in noticable amounts.

Honey is similar to brown sugar in minerals but has some additional features like helping with cough or used as a wound dressing.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    (Pulling my finger out and getting my own link - here's nutritiondata on molasses:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5573/2
    12% RDA of magnesium in a tablespoon... hm, looks to me as though, in the quantities you'd want to eat it (ie tiny), it's not going to make much odds.

reamz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    if i want to sweeten things i usually use a touch of stevia, or pure glucose powder (naturesflavors sell organic tapioca dextrose - a good option for those who cant handle corn!), and i also tried making amazake once with rice which turned out pretty good! (but too much effort)

As you can see i try to avoid fructose as much as possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast