Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hot flashes--imbalance of insulin/thyroid/hormones during fat burning? page

Redflame is offline Senior Member

hot flashes--imbalance of insulin/thyroid/hormones during fat burning?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I am going through hot flashes, and it has nothing to do with menopause.

So I am wondering if this has to do with the buring of fat cells, which hold hormones and chemicals within them?

Or would it be because my body is fighting to create a balance while burning fat and still keeping insulin leveled off. I know the insulin, hormones, and thyroid are all linked together.

Or am I simply just too dang hot for my own good????
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Lizzie125 is offline Member
    Good question. I experience the same thing after I eat, especially a meal with a lot of protein.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Well, we can't discount the hotness factor!

However, I am having the same thing. I thought maybe it's just my body steadily trying to rebalance all hormones . . . I think I've had thyroid issues, not severe though.

Would be nice to know what's happening.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    hot flashes are due to, IMO as always, malnutrition and overeatingi n on sitting. the GH, insulin, glucose release does not balance and cortisol is high leading to the sweating.

all in all its prolly related to a lot of thing from thyroid to imbalanced hormones to stress....however, before diagnosing yoruself with 'something' i would stick to primal for a while and focus on nutrition, organs....marrow etc

jarnapal is offline Member
    I too had problems with "hot flushes" after I started with primal high fat diet and I'm a guy... I experienced facial flushing especially in social situations. I have managed to decrease it although I am not sure what has helped me the most. I reduced my intake of pork fat because I suspected getting too much omega 6-s. I now take fish oil too.
    Secondly, I started to drink kefir a lot to get some calcium. Also increasing carbs might have helped me too...
    Thirdly, I am suspecting high uric acid also that is created from the protein in our gut. Drinking cherry juice which is high in malic acid that lowers uric acid seemed to help too.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    An interesting article on non-menopausal reasons for hot flashes:

http://www.wdxcyber.com/nmood12.htm
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    "Many systemic conditions can also produce flushing such as carcinoid syndrome, systemic mast cell disease, pheochromocytoma, medullary carcinoma of the thyroid, pancreatic islet-cell tumors, renal cell carcinoma, hyperthyroidism, neurological flushing, emotional flushing, and spinal cord injury."

Well, that's pleasant!

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie125 View Post
    Good question. I experience the same thing after I eat, especially a meal with a lot of protein.
    This is when I experience flashing too. I find if I eat more than 3ish oz of protein at one meal I overheat.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    I found this thread very interesting because it's nothing like me. Finding others in the same boat can be validating, but I learn the most from people that are having a different experience.

For me, some research is a good thing. But then I pay attention to my own patterns. Regardless of what I eat, I get cold afterwards. I guess it's just the blood going to my digestive system to do its work, at the expense of my limbs.

I used to be hot all the time. I was treated for thyroid cancer and my comfort range expanded to about a 30 degree spectrum. Not only that, but I can comfortably tolerate humdity much more. YAY! This was six years ago.

The last week and a half, I seem to be freezing all the time. Cold to my bones. Living in New York, the weather is obviously a factor. But this many days in a row is a new experience for me. I suspect that part of it is my body using it's own fat for fuel is part of it, too. Whatever it is, one thing is probable: it's going to change.

I am changing in so many ways, and have been, for several years. I have reached the point where I don't analyze too much anymore because, by the time I *figure it out*, it's going to be evolving in a new direction anyway. I seem to be thinking less ... and just *being*. It's tied to trusting my body more, and letting my brain continue to gather information but not always allowing it to call the shots.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Do you have these hot flashes at any particular time of the day (random) or at night when sleeping? I'm going through some thyroid testing now and haven't had any hot flashes except for last night when I woke up in a pool of sweat. I know some people tend to be furnaces in bed, but I'm not one of those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast