Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recipe for Primal Flapjacks page

Mattyz69 is offline Junior Member

Recipe for Primal Flapjacks

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I am starting to try and get myself more primal and i am looking an easier and nicer way to increase mt nuts and seed intake, i have been eating Primal for some months now but still get sidetracked now and again.
    I am hoping that some of you can help me make some tasty flapjacks that will kill my sweet cravings while increasing my fat intake.

Thanks in advance everyone,
    Mattyz69

lizch is offline Senior Member
    It'll be interesting to see the answers, because flapjack means two rather different things depending on whether you're somewhere UK-related or US-related. In the UK, flapjack is a very sweet oat-based bar you snack on. In the US, it's a type of pancake you have for breakfast. One of the many terminology issues that still keep me on my toes!! (As an example: while interviewing a programmer who was writing his rather over-complicated answer on the whiteboard, I asked him "Would you like a rubber?" You should have seen the look on his face!)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    (As an example: while interviewing a programmer who was writing his rather over-complicated answer on the whiteboard, I asked him "Would you like a rubber?" You should have seen the look on his face!)
    Oh wow. Are you from the UK? What does rubber mean to you? LOL

Motley is offline Junior Member
    eraser - as in a small block of rubber you use to rub out (hence rubber) pencil and by extension the block you use to wipe the white board clean.

But yeah I would like ot have an idea for a UK style flapjack. I doubt that is is possible while still being a flapjack though.
    Last edited by Motley; 10-15-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo

Yeah, I can't imagine a primal flapjack, UK style. The ingredients are sugar/syrup, oats, and butter. Eliminate the first two ingredients, and you're gnawing through a block of butter. I'm still not quite THAT fond of fat
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    Oh wow. Are you from the UK? What does rubber mean to you? LOL
    Originally....been in the US for 21 years now, and still get tripped up from time to time. For example, just found out that "tart yourself up" is a Britishism.

The first few years, the one that would get me the worst was "pants". Pants in the UK means underwear, not trousers. People would say "Ooooh, I like your pants" and I'd have a moment of horror thinking my underwear was somehow on view...
    Liz.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Originally....been in the US for 21 years now, and still get tripped up from time to time. For example, just found out that "tart yourself up" is a Britishism.

The first few years, the one that would get me the worst was "pants". Pants in the UK means underwear, not trousers. People would say "Ooooh, I like your pants" and I'd have a moment of horror thinking my underwear was somehow on view...

That's hilarious! If I ever make a british friend, I'd play with this a lot

Also, it's not really a "flapjack" in the UK sense, but I've seen lots of people get creative with nuts and coconut for granola type replacements. I'm not too sure how it would go, but maybe some almond meal and bits of nuts with honey and such? Maybe egg to hold it together?

Mattyz69 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah it is the Uk style flapjack i am talking about as i am from Ireland.
    I didnt realise there was a US alternative.
    The language references funny sometimes

Red Rover is offline Junior Member
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...at-crepes.html

Buckwheat is not a grain but a seed so this should fall under primal. If you want to save time you can skip the souring and just soak them overnight to get them soft enough to blend into a batter. Run the water through a water filter (like Brita) to dechlorinate the water.

Of course you can add what you want to it like you would pancake batter. Walnuts, blueberries, whatever.

2-3 cups raw buckwheat groats
    Dechlorinated water (filtered, boiled, or rested uncovered overnight)
    Non-iodized salt (sea salt, pickling salt or kosher salt), 2/3 tsp per cup of buckwheat
    Fermentation starter (optional), 2 tablespoons
    Food processor or blender
    Recipe
    Cover buckwheat with a large amount of dechlorinated water and soak for 9-24 hours. Raw buckwheat is astringent due to water-soluble tannins. Soaking in a large volume of water and giving it a stir from time to time will minimize this. The soaking water will also get slimy. This is normal.
    Pour off the soaking water and rinse the buckwheat thoroughly to get rid of the slime and residual tannins.
    Blend the buckwheat, salt, dechlorinated water and fermentation starter in a food processor or blender. Add enough water so that it reaches the consistency of pancake batter. The smoother you get the batter, the better the final product will be.
    Ferment for about 12 hours, a bit longer or shorter depending on the temperature and whether or not you used a starter. The batter may rise a little bit as the microorganisms get to work. The smell will mellow out. Refrigerate it after fermentation.
    In a greased or non-stick skillet, cook the batter at whatever thickness and temperature you prefer. I like to cook a thick 'pancake' with the lid on, at very low heat, so that it steams gently.
    Last edited by Red Rover; 10-15-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added part about adding nuts

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    matty, funny you should ask! rt before going primal I was experimenting trying to recreate UK flapjacks at home. I've thought about a primal version, but haven't come up with one yet. I think the closest might be the nutbutter bars in the PB cookbook. There is also these pumpkin brownies. Not as sweet as the traditional flapjack, but then we've all lessened our sweet intake since going primal...
    recipe: (from around here somewhere)
    1cup almond butter, 3/4 mashed pumpkin (or sweet potato?), 1 egg, 1tsp baking soda, 1/3c honey (I used 2T maple syrup & cinnamon & nutmeg)
    pour into buttered 8x8 baking dish, bake at 350 for 25 min. (if you get canned squash, this will take about 1/2 a can). I added some walnuts that I ran through a (mini) food processor also...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast