Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A yellow onion is really 15 grams of carbs!? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

A yellow onion is really 15 grams of carbs!?

Shop Now
    I ate a yellow onion this morning thinking it would be a low carb option to go with my eggs

Little did I know. I certainly wouldn't have thought a tomato (a fruit) would be lower carb per volume than an onion. My day just got a little sadder now.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of sugars in onions (that's why they caramelize so nicely) so they are fairly carby. A good sized onion (8 oz.) is 15g carbs.

I wouldn't be sad though. Onions have a lot of healthy properties. Now you know about them so in the future you could make portion adjustments if needed. Some people use scallions (young, green onions) to get that nice onion flavor without the high carbs. They are very tasty in egg dishes or salads.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Don't sweat it.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    mmmmmmmm i love onions..... i use a whole one a day sometimes lol

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    At least it wasn't oatmeal to go with your eggs! hehe

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Unless you are going for ketosis, 15g carbs is nothing. Also, unless your onion was absolutely massive you are probably overestimating the carb count.

For a yellow onion the average carb count is like 12g (and if you count net, 3g fiber takes it to 9g carbs)

Just throwing it out there cause I have no idea what size onion you ate.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Oh my goodness! 15 whole grams! Now you've really screwed up. Most people around here consider onions, garlic, and parsley to be rare cheats.

Seriously, you can go zero carb and just eat meat, eggs, and oil if you want to. Getting upset about the carb content of veggies isn't going to make you healthier or happier in any way I can fathom.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys! I'm not really sweating it, or worrying over it, I just expected it to be a lot less. I meant the "my day just got a little sadder now" in good humor. Believe me, I'm not stressing or getting upset or letting it ruin me, haha.

And no, I'm not in ketosis, but I'm trying to drop a few lbs (maybe 5?) and my carb count always seems to hit 100, never below, so I'm trying a little harder to whittle it down.

Also, Rivvin, you're right in that I might be overestimating. This was a pretty small yellow onion, smaller than my fist.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    I love onions, especially raw, but also cooked. They do turn sweet when cooked.

I read of their use as a cure for scurvy in Two Years Before the Mast, an account by Richard Henry Dana of his journey as a seaman aboard a square rigger in 1834-5.

A fascinating read.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I figure most things that grow under ground are a little more carby. Onions are wonderful though. I'd happily eat them all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast