Thread: Effects of coconut oil in cooking compared to eating it straight out of the jar? page

jimpag is offline Senior Member

Effects of coconut oil in cooking compared to eating it straight out of the jar?

Shop Now
    Ive noticed lately that I have no problems with coconut oil when im cooking food, I can use 5 teaspoons there with no ill effects, but if I just take 1 teaspoon straight outa the jar I get super sweaty, almost feel like puking, slight headache, tiredness etc.

Basically, is coconut oil more potent when taken alone without having heated it up compared to heated up with food?

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I think that it's just hard to digest a whole spoonful of coconut fats at once. I get very similar problems, but seem to be ok with the cooking.

Think about it this way:
    You eat a spoonful, assuming on an empty-ish stomach, it quickly enters your duodenum and you body has to deal with it all at once.

If you cook with it there are other things going into your stomach at the same time. This would mean that the coconut oil will enter the duodenum slower and with other foodstuff.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I'm one of the biggest advocates of coconut oil on this forum (I buy it 5 gallons at a time!) but I think it is extremely un-primal to eat it by the spoonful all by its lonesome. Which is the problem I have with supplements in general.
    Last edited by dragonmamma; 10-15-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: grammatical error

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Another reason why that may happen to you is that coconut oil is a POTENT anti bacterial. If you tend to have Candida for instance, it can kill off the bacteria and when they die off, it can make you sick. Nearly the same feeling as if you have been drinking too much alcohol.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpag View Post
    Ive noticed lately that I have no problems with coconut oil when im cooking food, I can use 5 teaspoons there with no ill effects, but if I just take 1 teaspoon straight outa the jar I get super sweaty, almost feel like puking, slight headache, tiredness etc.

Basically, is coconut oil more potent when taken alone without having heated it up compared to heated up with food?
    JmPag,

Try Coconut Milk instead. I drink 6 ounces a day with no problems.

Best to you,
    Grizz